Leading Questions in PCA Polls Limit Choice

griffon 56 18:05 11 Aug 2005

Has anybody else been mildly irritated by the limited choice usually given by PCA Polls because of the leading questions used. The poll usually falls into the 'When do you intend to stop beating your wife?' category. You find you can't answer 'I don't beat my wife' because the choices are only 'Tomorrow', 'Next week' 'Never'. Look at the current one for WiFi networks for an example. If it had been worded 'What do you think of WiFi networks?' almost all the suggested answers would have been applicable with minor changes, and would have included all the people like me who haven't a need for a network because they only have one computer but who have an opinion.

bremner 18:32 11 Aug 2005

You can't please all the people all the time. Irrespective of the question and supplied answers someone will always be unhappy.

This is not the general election just a straw poll - just treat it as such.

Forum Editor 19:39 11 Aug 2005

We're not conducting an official opinion survey - simply getting a feel for reactions to a simple question. The idea - as we've said many times - is that you select the response that's nearest to your particular scenario. If you don't think that any of the choices fit your circumstances don't take part - it's as simple as that. Not everyone will take part in every poll, but we get enough responses each time to give us a pretty fair picture.

griffon 56 18:16 12 Aug 2005

Oh dear, I didn't think I'd offend people, just forget it, the thread was intended to be helpful, but it doesn't look as though it's going to be discussed impartially.

bremner 19:11 12 Aug 2005

I am not offended and I am impartial and your point has been made on countless occasions.

It is simply a fact that to accommodate everyones view of what the anaswers should include would be a ridiculously long list.

Forum Editor 23:08 12 Aug 2005

just because people don't immediately agree with you. The fact is, there have been quite a few posts along similar lines to yours - in fact there have been lots of them, so we're not particularly surprised to see another one.

You haven't offended anyone as far as I'm aware,and you've made your own views known, which is partly the function of a forum like this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?