Latest thing that is bad for you...

Old Deuteronomy 11:39 30 Apr 2017

Now it seems having the wrong blood type is bad for your health!

From the BBC.

Aitchbee 11:49 30 Apr 2017

I would say that most people do not know what their specific blood type is so perhaps the old saying ignorance is bliss could apply here.

bumpkin 21:49 30 Apr 2017

Just another load of meaningless statistics. If more people under 40yrs old are killed in air crashes it does not make those under 40yrs more likely to be.

Old Deuteronomy 22:57 30 Apr 2017

bumpkin, I've long thought that if everything that is supposed to be bad for me is bad as at is supposed to be, I should have been dead decades ago.

rdave13 23:02 30 Apr 2017

Scientists finding such statistics think it's useful for further research into our lifestyles. We all know smoking,drinking and drug usage will shorten our lives but knowledge and information gleaned, however little, steps us further to fighting diseases.

Personally I won't be belittling this discovery.

Forum Editor 23:07 30 Apr 2017

bumpkin

"If more people under 40yrs old are killed in air crashes it does not make those under 40yrs more likely to be."

Yes, it does. It means that someone under 40 is more likely to be killed in an air crash than someone over 40. Provided they both fly, of course.

BT 07:59 01 May 2017

I'm OK then Blood Group O+. Don't hold much hope for the Boss though Blood Group AB-.

bumpkin 08:36 01 May 2017

Yes, it does. It means that someone under 40 is more likely to be killed in an air crash than someone over 40.

Perhaps I should have phrased it "have been killed in the past"

Forum Editor 08:54 01 May 2017

On a happier note, the number of deaths in commercial aircraft accidents has declined steadily since the late 1980's, despite the fact that there are many more flights nowadays.

So the chances of dying in an airline accident are smaller, regardless of your age.

oresome 10:22 01 May 2017

So the chances of dying in an airline accident are smaller, regardless of your age.

Certainly on a per flight basis, but the rise in individual journeys taken probably exceeds the reduction in accidents achieved by the industry.

Forum Editor 10:51 01 May 2017

oresome

Yes. Overall, there are far more people in the air every day than ever before, but the number of air accident deaths has fallen considerably.

If you fly with one of the major world airlines, your chances of dying in an air accident are around 1 in 19 million. It's the safest form of transport by a very long way. Statistics show that the risk of being killed in a car is 100 times greater, and over 3000 times greater if you ride a motorbike.

The reason aircraft accidents get a disproportionate amount of publicity is their dramatic nature - planes falling from the sky generally result in lots of deaths.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros