Latest Poll

laurie53 09:00 18 Mar 2008

Biggest advantage for me is that a desktop is upgradeable in most areas, not just HDD and memory.

lisa02 09:11 18 Mar 2008

Beyond making upgrades to the listed spec at time of purchase I have never upgraded components in a desktop.

interzone55 09:12 18 Mar 2008

For me that's the biggest disadvantage - it tempts one to tinker, then you spend lots of time & money pimping your PC, which eventually causes it to die a horrible death.

After my last disaster I bought a desktop replacement laptop and have enjoyed 12 months of stable computing without any temptation to add new bits.

I bought a desktop replacement because I have no intention of using it in the move, and it's got a nice big 17" screen and an almost full size keyboard.

The only time it leaves my desk is when I use it downstairs for cataloging my CD collection and the long slow process of ripping my thousands of singles and albums.

As for the poll - I ticked lower price, because that's the only real advantage of a PC as far as I'm concerned, laptops now are as powerful as all but the most screaming games PCs and scientific workstations, and most laptops are better designed than all but Apple desktops

Mr Mistoffelees 10:09 18 Mar 2008

I'm with Laurie53 here. Not just that, bigger screen, full size keyboard with propper keys, more sockets to plug things into. also much easier to fix when a component fails, like my graphics card did two months ago.

donki 13:05 18 Mar 2008

Hate laptops!!!! Im sure they have a purpose but i have absolutely no need for one. I'm a gamer and i dont care what anyone says, you cant play demanding games well on a laptop.

Totally-braindead 13:20 18 Mar 2008

I must admit if that was one of the options "it can be upgraded" that is. That would have been my choice as well.
With a laptop you are pretty much stuck with what you get, with a desktop you can upgrade.

Woolwell 14:59 18 Mar 2008

I wanted to choose lower price and more power but not better design. But the poll didn't cater for that. Desktops have better keyboards too?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone