At last, something worth watching on TV...

Graham. 17:39 31 Mar 2011

...in the afternoon. I refer, of course, to that Golden Oldie 'Terry and June' on ITV3.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Uboat 17:42 31 Mar 2011

Graham wasnt they great! classics are the best! here is another programme coming back:click here

WhiteTruckMan 17:51 31 Mar 2011

is the example I most often quote when illustrating just how badly comedy usually ages (as opposed to drama or tragedy etc).

Some of the humour of shakespear was quite bawdy, but now sails completely over the heads of lots of people.

WTM

Forum Editor 18:27 31 Mar 2011

That's a sweeping statement if ever I saw one.

I recently watched an episode of 'Upstairs Downstairs' a series that got massive audiences when it was first transmitted, back in the early 1970s.

By today's standards it now looks wooden and unsophisticated - it wouldn't last five minutes at peak time nowadays.

Terry and June was OK, but a lot of the euphoria that accompanies such reminiscing is associated with nostalgic contextual remembrances - who you were with, where you lived, etc.

Apart from which, I don't have time to watch TV in the afternoon, grumble, grumble..

ronalddonald 18:29 31 Mar 2011

bring back mr Bean

MAJ 18:30 31 Mar 2011

You're a tad early for April Fools jokes, try again tomorrow.

morddwyd 20:32 31 Mar 2011

I thought the thread was about "Lambing Live" which is back next week.

Believe it or not I started to watch it last year, and within the first couple of minutes was totally hooked.

I found it gripping, and if anyone had suggested that to me, or anyone who knows me, 15 months ago the laughter would be echoing yet!

I was even able to see past Kate Humble who is one of my pet hates (entirely personal, she just grates on me).

Takes all sorts I suppose, and I'm one of them!

Just don't expect to see me posting mid-evening next week.

Forum Editor 00:12 01 Apr 2011

If they do I'm leaping from the tallest building I can find.

Forum Editor 00:14 01 Apr 2011

I'm with you on "Lambing Live" - a little gem.

BT 08:29 01 Apr 2011

Is it because you like little lambs or are you just a secret fan of Kate Humble?

I know which one I prefer ;0)

Quickbeam 08:45 01 Apr 2011

Didn't it used to be on on a Wednesday, just after Ask The Family?

I always found it far too cosy and staid. Made in the '70s, in the style of the '50s, set in a perfect domestic backdrop and very much a comedy that was aimed solely at the middle class conservative viewer that the BBC aimed for at that time. The Kenny Everett Show was more my cup of tea then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?