Lamb to the slaughter

interzone55 17:02 14 Sep 2009

click here

A very interesting school program to teach children about the food chain has been criticised after the school lamb was slaughtered for food.

I applaud this head teacher for starting this excellent program, and I hope she doesn't back-down to the whingeing ninnies who've asked her to stop the program forthwith. What is the point of rearing a lamb for use a food, then not slaughtering it. How are the kids going to learn the realities of life if they don't see that the lamb has to be humanely killed one day...

Quickbeam 17:10 14 Sep 2009

I think it was a big mistake to give it a name and make it a pet. It should have just remained the school project sheep.

We had animals at our school that went to slaughter and in no way were we encouraged to view them as cute or name them.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:20 14 Sep 2009

This is what happens when townies try to learn about the real ways of the country and realise that it is not like The Famous Five books. Probably sandal-wearing tree-huggers IMHO.

G

peter99co 17:26 14 Sep 2009

What namby pamby idiots.

"Introduce humanity, compassion, respect and understanding to the school instead of betrayal."

Are they all Vegetarians?

Last term, the school council - made up of 14 seven to 11-year-olds - voted 13 to one in favour of sending Marcus to slaughter rather than keeping him.

Seemed a democratic vote. Don't these views count now.

interzone55 17:27 14 Sep 2009

I agree giving it a name was a bad move, as it does personalise the animal more, and creates an attachment to the animal...

peter99co 17:27 14 Sep 2009

I hope they number the piglets!

Forum Editor 18:06 14 Sep 2009

for wool and meat. The sooner all children are taught that in school, instead of having a load of new age whimsy shovelled into their heads, the better it will be.

Pesala 20:43 14 Sep 2009

Thirteen unlucky children made the unwholesome kamma of killing a living being. I wonder if the school also educates them about the law of kamma?

If an adult makes such decisions for the sake of earning a livelihood, then that is their choice, but it is ethically wrong to put children in a position where they are asked to make such decisions.

"Are they all Vegetarians?"

I suspect that most members of PETA are either vegetarians or vegans, but some may just be concerned about the ethical treatment of animals.

"How are the kids going to learn the realities of life if they don't see that the lamb has to be humanely killed one day..."

There is no need to pull the wool over their eyes. The teacher who started this program should make the decision, making sure when lamb is on the menu that the kids know where it came from. Then they can choose to eat it or not.

That way they avoid the evil kamma of killing a living being, but they can still see the connection between eating meat and killing.

We have the age of consent, and limits to the age for voting or joining the armed forces because young children don't yet have enough life experience to make important decisions.

lotvic 23:55 14 Sep 2009

Pesala, good job you weren't in my family then.
I come from a long line of farmers and we children reared and killed rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and anything else you can think of, we had our own little enclosure and they were our responsibility (overseen by the adults who taught us how to look after them properly)
We gave them all names and petted them and took them to the shows to win prizes as well.
The 'proper farm' bigger animals, bullocks, cows, sheep and pigs went to the slaughterhouse.
The cows all had names and would answer to them when called.

I suppose you don't like me anymore now.....

Forum Editor 00:13 15 Sep 2009

"The teacher who started this program should make the decision, making sure when lamb is on the menu that the kids know where it came from."

"That way they avoid the evil kamma of killing a living being....."

What about the person who did kill the lamb - that evil kamma is OK, is it?

You may not have too much experience with children, but I do, and I assure you that they are perfectly capable of making the kind of choice that was presented to them here. We're not talking about voting on whether to kill the caretaker, this was a sheep for goodness sake. Human beings have been killing animals for food for thousands of years - if they hadn't, you wouldn't even be here.

morddwyd 08:46 15 Sep 2009

The highlight of the year for children in the village where I was brought up was being given a wax taper to burn the bristles off the recently slaughtered pig which we had been chatting to (never chatted to a pig? You've missed a real attentive audience) and feeding titbits to on our way to school for the last year or so.

That's life, and death.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?