Labour Woes

laurie53 10:39 29 Jun 2008

The only surprise about Wendy Alexander's resignation is that it took so long.

What surprises me is that she blames the SNP because she faced sanctions for not declaring donations in time.

They may be to blame for much else, but I'm at a bit of a loss to see how this can be laid at their door!

zzzz999 10:49 29 Jun 2008

The SNP reported her 'error' and were on the committee that voted to suspend her. However, the truth for Wendy is even more unpalatable, the SNP were tipped off from someone within her camp, she was stabbed in the back. With Wendy gone, the labour party in Scotland will tear themselves apart with factional fighting.

Cymro. 11:00 29 Jun 2008

I suppose it all goes to show what a dirty game politics can be in the UK.

interzone55 11:20 29 Jun 2008

Politics in the UK is tame (and extremely clean) compared to the US...

Cymro. 12:00 29 Jun 2008

"Politics in the UK is tame (and extremely clean) compared to the US"

Yes indeed I quite agree and thank goodness for that.

Stuartli 14:02 29 Jun 2008

I watched Wendy Alexander's resignation speech live on BBC News - appeared to blame everyone but herself for her slide from glory.

Her deputy didn't gain many friends amongst the Press corps either with her contemptuous dismissal of questions to Ms Alexander because she "..was also about to make a statement."

tigertop2 15:48 29 Jun 2008

I keep reading political commentators and other hacks saying that people like Wendy are 'really very intelligent' and it is always a 'surprise ' when they come unstuck. Yet 99.99% of we 'ordinary people' would know that it was just good commonsense to declare donations whether required to or not. For that reason I believe the Wendys of this world are really quite thick

VNAM75 16:38 29 Jun 2008

"Politics in the UK is tame (and extremely clean) compared to the US..."

How do you think the Americans view Prime Minister's questions every wednesday - Brown v Cameron, Blair v Howard, Major v Blair...

interzone55 17:50 29 Jun 2008

The Americans don't care about British politics, or pretty much anywhere outside their own state.

Ask most American's to name the British PM and I'd bet a fairly high number would say Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher

Stuartli 19:14 29 Jun 2008

Vigorous exchanges more like..:-)

Been listening to/watching PMQs for many years - wouldn't miss it.

Stuartli 19:14 29 Jun 2008

Vigorous exchanges more like..:-)

Been listening to/watching PMQs for many years - wouldn't miss it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?