Kitchen Knives

morddwyd 20:45 31 May 2013

Why is it recommended not to put good quality cooks' knives in the diswasher?

I can understand not dulling their edges by not keeping them in a drwaer, and I cab understand fine bone handles of table knives suffereing from harsh detergent and very hot water, but what harm is possible to a decent Sabatier blade?

wee eddie 21:22 31 May 2013

It'll destroy those lovely black handles and pit the carbon Steel. Mind you, if the knives are Stainless Steel, I wouldn't be worrying overmuch.

Real knives have Hardwood handles, something similar to Ebony, and are made of Carbon Steel, except the flexible ones (Filleting Knives and Ham Carvers), which are layered Tungsten Steel.

namtas 21:23 31 May 2013

The main reason is because they get banged about in the dishwasher touching other silverware and dishes and this can dull the blade.

Quickbeam 00:34 01 Jun 2013

"...dull the blade."

Every time you use a knife you dull the blade, that's why chefs, fishmongers, butchers etc always steel the blade before use every time.

I'm with wee eddie on real knives having traditional hardwood handles and carbon steel that rusts. If you use them regularly, the rust gets polished off in use!

But I suppose we have to accept all the trendy modern stainless designer styles that are about now as being real too.

rdave13 00:43 01 Jun 2013

The real thought that comes to this question. Who really cares. If a knife is blunt, then sharpen it. If you don't know how to sharpen a knife then ask around. If you use a Dishwasher then follow instructions.

Quickbeam 07:48 01 Jun 2013

Follow instructions...?

wiz-king 08:05 01 Jun 2013

The main instruction being 'point down - handle up' or else.

BT 08:21 01 Jun 2013

I can't really see why you really need to put kitchen knives in the dishwasher. I clean mine immediately after use buy running under the tap and if necessary rubbing gently with the washing up sponge/scourer.

Dishwasher 'detergents' usually have a scouring agent in them which will damage the surface over time, which is why glasses eventually end up with a misty look.

Quickbeam 08:37 01 Jun 2013

Just a point to mention that if anyone uses a glass worktop chopping board, don't.

morddwyd 08:54 01 Jun 2013

Thanks for the responses. I think I should make it clear that I am talking about decent quality stainless steel Sabatier knives with riveeted handles.

The points you raise are applicable to all knives, but the warning I quoted only applied to "good quality cook's knives".

I would never put anything wooden into the dishwasher, nor anything non-stainless, and I do have some razor sharp Victorian era non-stainless tempered steel knives whuch nevr go near a dishwasher. While I am neither a butcher or a chef, the only knives I ever use without a few preparatory strokes on a steel, even the bread knife, are table knives.

"Who really cares."

I care. That's why I posted.

"I can't really see why you really need to put kitchen knives in the dishwasher."

That's not really addressing the question of why only good quality kitchen knives should not be put in the dishwasher. My reasons for doing so are my own, and not really relevant.

Forum Editor 09:14 01 Jun 2013

"...but what harm is possible to a decent Sabatier blade?"

This is what Sabatier have to say on the subject:

"SABATIER Diamant knives are utensils that require carefulness. Systematic use of a dishwasher inevitably spoils knives, in the same way as it affects glass or chinaware. In order to protect and preserve SABATIER Diamant knives, sabatier.com does not recommend to put knives in the dishwasher but advices to wash them in hot water with some washing-up liquid, to rinse them in clear water and to dry them carefully."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?