Kitchen cabinet doors

exdragon 13:32 25 Dec 2010

It's not that I'm bored with Christmas - we're on the sherry, the wine is chambre-ing, (well, the top is off) and the champagne is chilling) but standing in the (very dated) kitchen, I wondered if anyone had had success with painting cupboard doors? They are slightly textured, sort of basket weave, melamine, of course.

I don't want to replace all the doors yet, as there's a possibility of replacing the whole kitchen, but it won't be just yet. If a few pots of primer and paint will make a good job, it'd be handy. Anyone got personal experience or is it just a waste of time?

Enjoy the rest of the day!

birdface 14:28 25 Dec 2010

As you have already got the Cupboards installed it may be best just installing new doors and drawers.
My kitchen units sound like the same as yours I must have installed them myself about 20 odd years ago.
I have also thought about painting them but somehow I don't think that it would look very good.
I was in B&Q superstore in Northampton a few month's ago and new doors etc were reasonably priced.
Next time I am over there I will buy a couple just to see what they look like installed.
I would really prefer a new kitchen but cant really afford it.
January sales starting soon so might be a good idea to do it before the extra vat is added on the 4th.

dagbladet 14:42 25 Dec 2010

...or paint them and change the knobs/handles. Works a treat and not too dear.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 25 Dec 2010

Covered ours with sticky back plastic, lots of choice from B&Q

exdragon 16:38 25 Dec 2010

buteman - when my other half moves in with me, we'll probably have a new kitchen, hence I don't want to buy ten new doors at this stage.

dagbladet - that's more what I had in mind, so was asking if anyone had done it with a degree of success, or if the result just looked like tatty painted doors!

carver 16:42 25 Dec 2010

If you are going to paint them why not try spray paint, go over with a solvent and wire wool, the finish will be a lot better and should be dry enough in about 2 hours to put them back on.

Every body suggests using sand paper but if you have a textured surface it will not work properly thats why I would use wire wool.

dagbladet 17:21 25 Dec 2010

What Carver said. Then I changed from round wooden knobs to swirly steel (finish) handles. Worked a treat. Was a temp economy driven measure and has been in place for about 5 years now. If it doesn't look right what have you lost? In my case it cost £17. Often people have ordered kitchens and prior to delivery, the Leader of the Opposition has changed her mind about the handles and they flog them on Ebay, that's where I got mine. Example.

click here

dagbladet 17:26 25 Dec 2010

...or here.

click here

There's loads.

morddwyd 20:31 25 Dec 2010

Likr dagbladet, that's what we did, paint and handles.

A new lease of life and if you decide it's not right, change it, under £20.

Forum Editor 20:52 25 Dec 2010

You'll need to 'key' the melamine surface before a paint coat will bond properly, and the right way to do it is to wash the doors with soap liquid solution, rinse, then dry off. Nest use wire wool - not too coarse - and some white spirit - go over the doors, rubbing with a circular motion, moistening with white spirit as you go.

Then repeat the soap liquid washing routine, and get the doors bone dry.

Buy some cans of spray primer - white for a pale colour, grey for a dark one, and lay the doors flat - preferably outside on a dry day. Spray them lightly with two coats of primer, allowing a 15 minute drying time between coats.

The topcoat should ideally be an oil-based eggshell, applied with a 4" foam roller. Don't overload the roller, and work it vertically and horizontally, again with the doors lying flat.

Apply two or more coats, allowing 24 hours between coats. If you work carefully you'll end up with a finish that looks factory applied. It won't last forever, but it will look good for a long time - clean with a damp cloth only.

robgf 22:04 25 Dec 2010

I have just finished painting a customers cupboard doors, using Ronseal melamine paint. The finish is pretty good, after some experimentation. I found the best technique, was to apply by brush and then run a gloss roller lightly over it.

At home, I used Fablon twenty years ago and it still looks like new (mind you, I haven't got kids!).

Be careful using wirewool during preperation. If you then use a water based paint, you can get tiny rust spots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?