KidsAdvisor needed?

ezypcy 16:18 19 Aug 2006

I am continually shocked by the number of fat kids in
our midst.And I am not talking about the obese ones either.

Is this child neglete or cruelty?
Should we do something draconian regards the closing
down of fast-food chains?Or simply locking up the parents (plus the kids for their own good)!
Let's not forget all that supermarket junk as well.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:25 19 Aug 2006

When I was a kid, fat kids were a rarity, we were all too active to get fat, not anymore. Education, for kids and parents, is the only way to sort the problem.

ade.h 16:31 19 Aug 2006

It's a very big issue (in all senses!) and we need something more than Gillian McKeith poking peoples' stools on Channel 4 to change the bad habits.

Forum Editor 16:35 19 Aug 2006

exhibited by so many children are the result of their lazy parents not being bothered to prepare healthy and nutritious meals at home.

Instead, they pick up the phone and order takeaways, or go to McDonalds/KFC etc. on a regular basis and opt out.

It's laziness, plain and simple, and their children will pay a heavy price - as will the nation, which will have to fund the extra health-care these children will need as they age.

johndere 17:15 19 Aug 2006

I know of some parents who take their children 2 or 3 times a week and wonder why their children are fat. The food is poor has fat in it and is not the right sought of food for youngsters.

Fast food joints offer a free toy in kiddies meals it's a way to get them to come to their place and it's peer pressure to have the "in" toy.

I can count on 2 fingers the times i have been to a fast food joint this year, bith with a friend and his children.

ade.h 17:34 19 Aug 2006

I have only been to a fast food restaurant once - a Burger King, I think - and it was a thoroughly depressing experience. I couldn't bring myself to order the stuff that was being shovelled from greasy fryer to limp white bread-substitute, so I just had a drink.

We've all seen the reports coming from schools which have adopted healthy eating policies - the kids won't buy the stuff apparently. I don't know what can be done to change that deeply ingrained culture.

I can remember a recent documentary in which one young child would only eat white food!

SG Atlantis® 17:35 19 Aug 2006

I would visit a fast-food chain once a week, sometimes not, in work and would have pizza or other takeaway once a week usually weekend.... when the kids have gone to bed ;)

My kids are restricted in the amount of rubbish they are allowed, the in-laws think I'm just being mean by not allowing them sweets and fizzy juice and banning fried food.

In any case offer them a banana or a bar of choc and they'll take the fruit every time. They love veg too which I am really pleased about.

My 8 year old niece will not eat anything healthy, she gets fed chip shop food almost daily and I have never seen her eat fruit! She's not fat but has a horrible complexion and is always lethargic. Quite awful... but I can't do anything about it.

ade.h 17:39 19 Aug 2006

Well done SG - it sounds like you've done a great job with your kids by giving them the right diet from the start. I have taken the same approach, but I worry about what will happen when they're older and surrounded by their junk food munching peers.

SG Atlantis® 17:52 19 Aug 2006

Thank u ade.h, if only I had the commitment to practice what I preach for myself! I love a curry or pizza and a good movie at the weekend.

A lot of these chains are offering healthy options now as well... There's lots of other chains popping up, sandwich bars, smoothie bars and one called spudulike that serve fresh baked potato with what looks like wholesome ingredients. I wanna try them the next time I'm in town.

Hopefully when they get up a bit they'll not give into peer pressure and that includes binge drinking and smoking (something I despise as you know form earlier threads, lol). I seriously don't know how I'd cope if my little creations were determined to ruined their health and lives. You just want the best for them...

ade.h 17:58 19 Aug 2006

I like the occasional visit to Pizza Express as well, but at least that's just calories, which can be burned off (though sadly not while reading this forum!). Curries can be quite healthy; you don't see very many fat Thai people! My red prawn curry is highly rated around these parts...

Bingalau 18:35 19 Aug 2006

Sorry I started to read this thread now, I feel hungry all of a sudden and am off to the chippy for a curry..... I Would like to point out that as I was evacuated during the war, I was brought up on good healthy wartime rations. "scrumpin' apples was a good way to fill up, but oh my God what a belly ache the next day! I am now about a stone over what I think I should weigh, but I am sure it will come off when I get to the age where I perhaps end up in a home, and pay hundreds of pounds a week. Seeing the children of today fills me with dismay, it would be an idea if their parents got them into an athletic club or a swimming club, where they could use some of the excess fat off. It would also keep the little ones off the streets where they will only get into trouble ..Bingalau..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?