Kids and Guns - TV

john bunyan 09:18 01 Aug 2014
Answered

I saw a horrifying programme at 9pm on TV last night. We all know if the US obsession of their "right to bear arms", but the people here were teaching kids of as young as 4 !! to shoot and even own, firearms. One mother was distraught that her 6 year old , who went on his own with a .22 rifle had a fatal accident when he tripped in a hole with "one up the spout".

The parents were quite ghastly. I used to like weapons of all kinds and was a marksman in all the UK normal military weapons, but am proud our police, even, are mostly unarmed and I continue to be amazed by the American gun culture. Worth a look on catch up TV.

Guardian review

john bunyan 09:20 01 Aug 2014

BTW it was on Channel 4

wiz-king 10:54 01 Aug 2014

I kept hearing the words 'gun safe' yet most of the people seemed to have no idea of the meaning of it.

john bunyan 11:00 01 Aug 2014

MechKB 2

calls for gun controls

After the last US school shooting, the NRA response was that most teachers should be armed!! If ever there were an example of the cultural difference between USA and UK, the "gun culture" surely is a leading contender.

spuds 12:06 01 Aug 2014

The programme did supply some outstanding facts, and perhaps nothing short from a country with a solid gun culture base.

I could be wrong, but I seemed to get the impression, that the parent's were the major problem of making or forcing their children to bear arms or own their own weapons. Making a child of four, use their first rifle, with a kick back like a mule, is certainly not the way forward. Even letting 'children' use very high powered guns, even though in a supposed controlled environment, only led to more confusion.

One of the main parts about confusion, is perhaps trying to compare the USA with the UK. When anything happens in the USA that is gun related, it is 'just one of those daily things'. Here in the UK it is a total different subject, that usually leads to a knee jerk reaction by those in authority!.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:12 01 Aug 2014

No different to Syria then click here

spuds 12:19 01 Aug 2014

Fruit Bat - Very true.

The only difference is that the USA suggests that it to shoot game or protect their rights and property.

Others might think that its more to do with killing or maiming other people?.

BT 12:31 01 Aug 2014

Just caught a bit of Cajun Pawn Stars on Cable. A chap went into the shop and bought a Smith & Wesson revolver and they just 'had' to go out to the range to try it out. After shooting a couple of plastic containers full of coloured water everyone from the pawn shop then had to lay down a hail of bullets with a range of modern sub machine guns just for the hell of it.

The same sort of thing happens in one of the other Pawn Stars shows where if they buy an antique weapon they have to try it out to make sure it works, with seemingly little or no safety precautions. In this country the firing of an antique weapon just wouldn't happen, because it might well damage the item and so reduce its value and more importantly because its just not safe.

namtas 13:04 01 Aug 2014

BT That is America, it is ingrained in the culture, we just don't have that thankfully.

BillSers 14:02 01 Aug 2014
Answer

Ohh, I thought she looked kinda cute holding the Magnum .45, the most powerful handgun in the world which you blow ya head clean off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 01 Aug 2014

"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"

"Go ahead. Make my day."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone