Kick a man when he is down

Legolas 12:58 16 Jun 2008

I have just found out this morning that the proposal to close my department and make 10 of my workmates and myself redundant has been upheld and will go ahead as planned so I will be out of work at the end of the month. We have known about this since the beginning of the month and this decision came as no surprise.

What has annoyed me is we were all given a run down of monies owed to us, as I have been here almost 4 years and am over 40 I am due 4 and a half weeks redundancy, they had me down as starting on the 1st July 2005 when I acutely started on the 1st Nov 2004 so I would have lost 1 and a half weeks money, also They had me owing them £222 because I have taken to many holidays up to this time, after checking with my boss I discovered that I owe them nothing and they owe me nothing concerning holiday entitlement.

Had I just accepted their figures I would have lost out on upwards of £700. It is bad enough to be out of a job without the HR dept screwing up my redundancy payment.

Forum Editor 14:16 16 Jun 2008

it must be grim to have to contemplate finding a new job at such short notice.

The HR error is obviously an added irritation, but there's not much more to say about it than that really. I wish you well with the job hunt.

interzone55 14:27 16 Jun 2008

At least you got notice - my sister only found out she'd lost her job when she got to work one day and the shutters were down with a notice on them telling staff to ring a number for further information.

She'd worked at that company for 18 years, but because the company had no cash, and all assets were used to pay creditors she got no redundancy money, just the bear minimum legal payment.

She was very lucky though, as she managed to get another job the same day.

On a more personal note, I'm very sorry that you have lost your job, times are tough in many companies at the moment. I'd use the next couple of weeks surfing the job sites on company time, but maybe you're more dedicated than me...

Brumas 14:33 16 Jun 2008

My commiserations, hope you find suitable employement soon with a more altruistic employer.

HondaMan 14:59 16 Jun 2008

It migt be worth having a word with CAB.

Defects in procedure ae a classic reason for an unfair dismissal payout.

Were the reasons valid
Were you or your union CONSULTED, not just told

Marko797 15:06 16 Jun 2008

really sorry to hear of your bad news. Things might look grim, but I'm sure there'll be something on the horizon.

I've had this happen to me twice in my working life, owing to what u might consider poor business decisions, or market forces. I therefore know what ur going thru. None of the aforementioned reasons make it any easier, however, to accept as an affected individual.

As FE says, the HR situation has just added further irritation into the mix, at an already sensitive time.

Wishing u well buddy.

crosstrainer 15:12 16 Jun 2008

Good luck, and I know it's hard to keep positive, but try to think of it as a fresh start rather than an ending.

peter99co 15:52 16 Jun 2008

I have been there twice but survived it and improved my lot as a result.

jakimo 16:42 16 Jun 2008

I commiserate with you on your bad news,then have your nose rubbed in to boot is a bit much.

But I think a lot more will be joining you in the near future,particularly those in the building trade,a nation building firm has just made 400 in my area alone (don't know who is going to build Mr Brown 3Million houses)

BT 17:10 16 Jun 2008

It was a bad day when the Personnel Dept. became Human Resources, run by 'Managers' with 'qualifications' but little experience. I think we had 3 in 5 years. It just serves to show how people are seen as just 'resources' and not people any more.

Having been made redundant about 3 years ago now I sympathise with you.

When I was made redundant it was a case of 5 out of the 10 in our dept., and we couldn't wait to get away. The 'HR' manager couldn't understand why we were begging to be one of the 5. It was a situation she hadn't been confronted with before. We were all long serving employees (20 years+) and were up for a good package including for most of us an early retirement option too.

The situation at the company had deteriorated in recent years and it shows how bad things had become in that of the 5 people left 3 more have since left voluntarily, thus giving up any chance of getting a redundancy package.

Legolas 18:07 16 Jun 2008

Thanks all for your comments. I will be honest the company I work for are very good and I have no real axe to grind with the company. We have always got a bonus every six month purely at the companies discretion.

My redundancy package is made up of 4 and a half weeks wages (tax free)my six monthly bonus (tax free)50% of my redundancy payment on top of the above from the company. So not bad as they didn't have to give the bonus or the 50%. My annoyance was with the HR dept who couldn't run a bevvy in a brewery, or so it would appear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?