Kenneth Spector - Coding without seeing the screen

powerless 20:14 15 Aug 2004

click here

Amazing!!

cream. 20:34 15 Aug 2004

Absolutely amazing.

My friends son, Craig, has been blind since he was 15 years old. He is just starting his 3rd and final year at Lincoln university writing source code. It would appear that he will graduate with flying colours.

He browses the net with BB, dial up is to slow and is a whizz with email.

How they do it is mind blowing, hats off to them for not letting their disability hinder what they do so well.

VoG II 20:52 15 Aug 2004

Awesome!

When I program I have to keep scrolling up and down the page to check whether I've declared variables, initialised them; what parameters another "sub" requires and so on.

It is truly amazing how some individuals with disabilities not only cope but truly excel.

Dan the Confused 21:40 15 Aug 2004

Very impressive, with his talent he deserves to have a long and successful career. I think it's just a shame that society are generally so biased against the disabled. It just shows that the disabled are just as good, if not better, than able bodied people when given the opportunity.

Dorsai 19:28 17 Aug 2004

Nature takes away, but then it also gives.

It Can result in a truly mind blowing combination. How can a person who can't see Program a PC? I have not the faintest idea how someone can do it, when they can't see what they are actually doing! But if it works i certianly won't knock it, or those that can.

I have to watch the keyboard just to type.

I can't write modern object orientated script, tehe commands just makes no sence. It's just blah blah blah to me.

Used to do OK with the spectrum and ZX machine code, but what good that now?

And Major Congrats to Craig.

He seems to have turned what many would take as a disadvantage and turned it to his advantage.

Hat off.

Dorsai 19:35 17 Aug 2004

Also goes to show that making modern tech. avaliable to all pays divedens. The talented that would otherwise go undiscovered can shine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?