K2 claims 9 lives.

day2strike 17:32 03 Aug 2008

At least nine climbers are feared to have died in north Pakistan trying to scale the world's second-highest peak, K2, expedition organisers say.

There are fears more climbers could have died, or still be trapped, after an avalanche, but others did manage to reach safety.

A chunk from an ice pillar snapped away on Friday and broke ropes on a feature called the Bottleneck, reports said.

For more click here

octal 18:05 03 Aug 2008

Terrible thing to happen, but they know the risks when they embark on these expeditions. The problem is they put more than their own lives at risk when anything untoward happens.

spuds 19:08 03 Aug 2008

This is nothing new, and anyone undertaking an expedition is fully aware of this.

On a personal note, I have two past friends and colleagues who were very experienced mountaineers and well versed on the region. They are longer with us, due to similar tragic accidents.

interzone55 19:52 03 Aug 2008

I've never been much of a climber, but I have been partly up K2, just trekking in summer, and looking up it didn't seem terribly enticing...

Cymro. 13:57 04 Aug 2008

I live on the edge of Snowdonia a very popular place for rock climbing and the like but a place where several fatal accidents have happened over the years.

The mountains are always beautiful and I can understand why people would like to go to the top but why make it as difficult and dangerous as possible for themselves?.

I suppose that life can become very tedious without any excitement or risk taking but still theirs is an adventure that I just can`t appreciate but then I don`t suppose that many of them would appreciate my being at a computer as much as I am.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017