Justice seen to be done

oresome 20:29 31 Oct 2013

From Thursday hearings in the criminal and civil sections of the court of appeal are being broadcast subject to series of strict conditions, including a 70-second time delay and allowing the cameras only to focus on lawyers and judges.

Note that defendants and witnesses will not be filmed so the broadcast will probably be less than riveting for many viewers.

A good idea or not?

Will it make a circus of the judicial system or provide a serious insight?

I'm unsure at this stage when and where it will be broadcast and if it will be continuous or just edited highlights which of course brings it own set of problems.

Aitchbee 21:43 31 Oct 2013

...if it clashes with ATR 'or' Racing UK, then I would give it the 'thumbs down'.

bumpkin 22:24 31 Oct 2013

A bad idea as it will be edited to suit the media.

Aitchbee 22:30 31 Oct 2013

... if the bookies get involved ... it might be a winner!

.... innocent ... evens

guilty ..... 2/1.

acquital ... 1/2.

Aitchbee 22:35 31 Oct 2013

... you're better, just watchin' Columbo.

Forum Editor 22:48 31 Oct 2013

I think it's a good idea, provided there are safeguards for those who don't want their presence in court to be broadcast to the viewing audience.

rdave13 23:28 31 Oct 2013

And that is the crux of the matter. How do you guarantee the safeguards. I don't think it's a good idea personally.

morddwyd 08:14 01 Nov 2013

"A bad idea as it will be edited to suit the media."

No it won't.

We've had it in Scotland for some time, and there have been no miscarriages, or even alleged miscarriages, of justice because of it.

All these same objections were raised to the televising of Parliament.

michaelw 08:48 01 Nov 2013

There's to be a 70 second delay for any inappropriate language etc.

fourm member 09:07 01 Nov 2013

The cameras are positioned so that only the judges and the lawyers can be seen.

It is a first tentative step and a lot of thought has gone into how to do it without problems.

QuizMan 10:27 01 Nov 2013

Saw some of the broadcast on Sky News. The only word to describe it is turgid. It is an important first step though, but will be a few years before it gets to the Crown Court. That is when things will start to get interesting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?