Just a silly one :o)

six-h 16:40 29 Aug 2009

This item from my local Metro News made me laugh till the tears ran down my leg!
According to the Canadian Press, the inscription on the metal bands used by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior to tag migratory birds has been changed.
The bands used to bear the address of the Washington Biological Survey, abbreviated to: - "Wash. Biol. Surv." - until the agency received the following letter from a Newfoundland Hunter:

Dear Sirs,
While out hunting last week, I shot one of your birds. I think it was a crow.
I followed the cooking instructions on the leg tag and I want to tell you, it was horrible.

The bands are now marked "Fish and Wildlife Service".

It's probably not genuine but it just appealed to my sense of humor:o)

Bingalau 17:01 29 Aug 2009

Now we know why we were taught to spell and read properly.

caccy 21:02 29 Aug 2009

I've been also caught out but with an acronym:- ROM (Always thought it meant Read Only Memory being an engineer). In the proposal I was reading it seemed to make some sense but on querying it I was told that it was Rough Order of Magnitude (ROM).This is Bean counter talk for we havn't a clue what it costs.

Jim Thing 21:31 29 Aug 2009

...I once worked for a retired Commander RN who claimed that it was he who wrote to My Lords Commissioners pointing out that Admiralty Signals & Radar Establishment (ASRE) might be a more suitable name for the Navy's new high-tech research establishment than Admiralty Radar & Signals Establishment, which was the name originally proposed.

He told me that his framed memo hung for years in a corridor at the Admiralty but I don't know how true that was.

Pine Man 09:53 31 Aug 2009

About twenty years ago, or more new, police squads were set up in the midlands, I think. At first they were called the Fast Action Response Teams but soon were changed to Rapid Response Teams!

Pine Man 09:54 31 Aug 2009

screwed the punctuation up a bit!

dagnammit 10:38 31 Aug 2009

The PSNI were to be originally called the NIPS
(Police Service of Northern Ireland)

I rather liked the idea of referring to them as "Nippers"....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 31 Aug 2009

Is that where the term "Pinched by the law" comes from?

dagnammit 11:38 31 Aug 2009

No, dont think so... this name change for the RUC only happened in 2001. That phrase is old.

The term over here is usually "nabbed" but had the original name been implemented I'm sure we'd be saying he got "nipped".

dasli 13:44 01 Sep 2009

mmm...interesting

Jim Thing 20:23 01 Sep 2009

Ulster folk also speak of being 'lifted' by the 'polis.'

...at least my in-laws did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone