Just one of those things!.

spuds 11:42 24 Mar 2007

Do we take things seriously nowadays, or is it a case of 'what will be, will be'.

In the City area that I live, there seems to be an increase on violent activities, this is also a nation wide problem going on media reports of daily knifing incidents.

Are people becoming immune to this, because of the feeling that little is done about correcting this problem. Or is it a case of 'not in my backyard' so it doesn't concern me. Even when it doe's concern people, they can show a very relaxed attitude.

Case in example: The other day, there was an armed robbery at a local petrol station. While this was going on, members of the public came into the shop area to pay for petrol etc. The gunman threatened these people, and told them to leave the premises. All of these people obeyed the gunman's demand, except one person who insisted that he paid for the petrol he had obtained.

The cashier was taken totally by surprise, as to the members of public reaction, it all seemed casual and matter of fact as if the incident was 'Just one of those things' or perhaps wasn't even of real interest.

Would you be inclined to do the same thing, and adopt the same stance and attitudes that appeared to happen on this occasion!.

Whoops sorry mate, a armed robbery in progress. "Do you want me to put the Closed sign up" (perhaps).

Confab 11:54 24 Mar 2007

The thing is that you just don’t know how you or others are going to react until it happens.

I’ve been involved in three armed robbery situations many years ago when I worked in a clearing bank.

On one occasion a man came into the branch and pointed a gun at the cashier and asked him for all his money. The cashier replied, “I haven’t got any, but he has” pointing to another cashier further down the line. The armed robber walked over to the other cashier and pointed his gun at him! No one was hurt thankfully and once the robber had left we went to find the branch manager. On trying to open his office door we found we couldn’t get in, it was locked. It became apparent that as soon as he saw his staff being threatened he RAN to his office, locked himself inside, and hid behind his desk.

Confab

spuds 12:12 24 Mar 2007

Confab. Very interesting, but who summoned help?.

We are always informed that there are set safety and security procedures in place for events like this. Human nature at times of requirements can be different, as pointed out in your past experience and that of the petrol station situation. The particular petrol station mentioned as had many 'incidents' over a number of years, and it appears that the on duty cashiers are the ones to suffer the most.

Kate B 12:55 24 Mar 2007

"daily knifing incidents" - a couple of extremely vicious attacks does not make a crime wave, horrible and frightening though they are.

spuds 13:55 24 Mar 2007

Kate B. I thought that you as a journalist would be 'the first' with media reports and feedbacks. Stating "a couple of extremely vicious attacks does not make a crime wave" is a complete and utter silly statement to make in the very least.But I forgot, what is todays news, is the forgotten news of tomorrow as far as journalism is concerned.

Kate B 14:28 24 Mar 2007

It's not a silly statement, thank you. We've seen a couple of extremely nasty attacks. I believe they're unrelated (though I could be wrong) and so while very horrible and brutal, they're isolated incidents. London is a pretty safe place to live - I've lived here for 20 years and the worst crime I've suffered is having my purse nicked a couple of times. They're vile and tragic but they're isolated incidents. Furthermore, I don't think there's any need to snipe and be rude. I disagree with you on your interpretation; you disagree with me. I don't launch into attacks on you, your intelligence or your profession, so please don't do it to me.

medicine hat 14:40 24 Mar 2007

The armed robber got more money, the driver paid for his petrol and the cashier has an intriguing story to tell the Mercury - everyone's happy

Confab 15:00 24 Mar 2007

Confab. Very interesting, but who summoned help?.

Just about everyone in the branch at the time. You don't need to pick up a phone to summon help in a most branches.

Confab

Forum Editor 15:42 24 Mar 2007

how a few well-publicised knife attacks can be interpreted as "daily knifing attacks", as if crime of this kind is suddenly sweeping the nation. That's a wildly sweeping statement to make without supporting evidence.

It's certainly true that public awareness has been raised with regard to the knife culture amongst young people, and it's true that the incidence of knife-related crime has risen, but........of over 2.7 million reported violent crimes in 2006 just 2% resulted in a serious injury. That's still a lot of people being injured, but of course not all violent crime involves knives.

That there is a knife culture amongst the young is undeniable - according to the Chief Constable of the British Transport Police some 46% of 15-17 year old youths interviewed admited carrying a knife for self defence, although not all of them would do this every day. Nvertheless, between 1999 and 2006 there was a 60% increase in the number of recorded instances of knife-carrying.

There's been an increase in knife-related violence, no question about it, but to say that there are daily knife attacks is a bit like saying there are daily baseball-bat attacks - both are probably true, but neither is - on its own - statistically significant, we need to look at the incidence of other types of violent crme to put the figures into context. Stabbings are dramatic, and stabbings of young people by other young people are particularly newsworthy - report a few of them in the national press, and before long you have people believeing there's an epidemic.

In the past we have had periods when there was far more violent crime than there is today, but because of less widely-distributed and less efficiently collected data reporting the public at large weren't aware of anything unusual going on. I doubt that we're more resigned to crime now than in the past - we're simply exposed to information overload, and although the vast majority of people abhor the thought of violent crime they tend to do so in silence. Hence the idea that we just accept it as a fact of life.

WhiteTruckMan 16:56 24 Mar 2007

what the media want to tell us. Even our own government would have some difficulty telling us something were it not for the co-operation of the media. I agree that the internet can be a big help in bypassing regular media outlets, but I think most people rely on web pages of the same media organisations that run tv & print outlets. (please note that this is an observation only, NOT a conspiracy type rant).

There may very well be a wave of daily knife attacks, but if the media choose not to report it as such, or treat every attack as an isolated incident then no wave of attacks will ever exist.

Who was it who first said 'no news is good news'?

WTM

spuds 19:19 24 Mar 2007

Without going into argument state, you seem to base your comments mostly on London, and you living in London,and not the rest of the UK. People like myself do not live in London and so base facts locally or on what the media (journalism) tell us/me.

Further more, explain to me were I have been especially rude,sniped, launched attack on your intelligence in a manner other than debate."utter silly statement" is a simple expression, something that I am quite sure means very little, and nothing to get over excited about.I would think that crime and disorder is a more important factor in life, and far more to worry about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?