Just had to tell someone!

Awshum 14:51 16 Mar 2010

I bought a commodore c64 with tape deck, joystick and games all in original packaging, in full working order!

Just played Fiendish Freddy.... oh the memories.

My daughters have never seen a cassette before, until now, and are bemused by this computer.

Quickbeam 15:14 16 Mar 2010

Was it forgotten old stock?

Awshum 15:21 16 Mar 2010

No got it off a colleague for £20. Oh.... Panic Dizzy just finished loading. xD

peter99co 16:16 16 Mar 2010

You will have time to make your own tea now while you wait for games to load.

tullie 16:36 16 Mar 2010

Brings back some terriffic memories,dont suppose you want to sell it on?

Monoux 16:38 16 Mar 2010

Awshum -- You can have a Peek and a Poke at it :o)

canarieslover 16:50 16 Mar 2010

The old computers were so relaxing. You could go and make tea or even have lunch while you waited for them to load a program. For the impatient there are always emulators that will make use of the much faster loading from hard drive.
click here

Pineman100 19:03 16 Mar 2010

"The old computers were so relaxing"

You obviously never had a Sinclair ZX80/81!

It took ten minutes to find the right volume setting on your cassette recorder for programs to load. If a leaf fell in the garden, it would crash.

Relaxing?? I used to end up with teethmarks in my tongue!!

PalaeoBill 19:20 16 Mar 2010

I have one in the loft along with a PET, a Dragon, a BBC Micro and a Sinclair ZX81. I had a Sirius 1 but foolishly loaned it to a colleague andd never got it back. They are all carefully wrapped and hidden for someone to find and take to a distant future antiques roadshow. I was tempted to stick a VCR up there as well but I think, like the LP turntables, they will still be in use for years to come by too many people.

canarieslover 19:28 16 Mar 2010

They were just prior to my interest in computers but I can remember having to play about with volume and azimuth adjustment to get programs loaded on a Spectrum. A pair of Microdrives cured that but it was a pain, not to say expensive, transfering programs to Microdrive cartridges.

Hercule Marple 19:54 16 Mar 2010

I had a Spectrum, than an Amstrad 464, but most of my mates had either a C64 or a BBC B. They were all great gaming machines in their own ways. I did get to play quite a few C64 games (and Vic-20 games!) back then, and I once swapped my 464 for a C64 for a couple of weeks. I even bought a few editions of Zzap 64! magazine, even though I didn't own a C64, lol.

Favourite C64 games:-

Paradroid (still good to play now. Paradroid '90 on Amiga was very good, too)
Dropzone (excellent Defender type arcade game)
Kickstart 2 (budget motorbike game, great for 2-player)
Pitstop 2 (Formula One game, probably horribly dated now)
Winter Games (Looked amazing at the time)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017