Just commenting on VoG's help! (amongst others)

CurlyWhirly 20:30 30 Aug 2004

I have only been a forum member for a few months and everywhere I go Vog (and other Forum members of course!) every day offer helpful advice, hints, and discussion on this Forum and I noticed a few days ago a relatively new member (I think) rubbished genuine replies from people like VoG and others.

This I think is inexcusable for example Stalion replied to one of my queries and I posted an innocent remark which after realising could cause him offence IMMEDIATELY apologised on more than one occasion.
I think this is better for ALL members as would people agree with me that bad manners is NOT to be tolerated here in these Forums?
Fortunately it does not happen very often thank goodness!
CW

VoG II 20:48 30 Aug 2004

Yes you are correct and I think that I know the particular theead that you were referring to. I do make the odd boo-boo (don't we all) and I am quite happy to be corrected when I do. On that particular occasion I was not wrong - I know this because I had sought advice in private correspondence with another member (expert) about the problem in question (not the specific thread). My only regret was in responding to the "rubbishing" when I should have just ignored it and added the postee to my blacklist (which currently stands at about three after 3 years on the forum).

I also have (well, had) concerns about relative newcomers' contributions being rubbished and I posted a thread about this in the Helproom. Basically, if you think that someone (and that includes me) posts incorrect or misleading information then, of course, say so. But politely, and with the correct solution. (In the case of my postings, politeness is optional.)

Whilst I have the floor (as end would say) I also find it extremely frustrating when somebody posts a problem, several different solutions are offered, and the thread is green-ticked with no feedback. But maybe that subject is for another thread?

CurlyWhirly 20:51 30 Aug 2004

You and others have helped me on numerous occasions and I thank you all for your time.
CW

JonnyTub 20:53 30 Aug 2004

named and shamed.

JonnyTub 20:55 30 Aug 2004

"Whilst I have the floor (as end would say) I also find it extremely frustrating when somebody posts a problem, several different solutions are offered, and the thread is green-ticked with no feedback. But maybe that subject is for another thread?"

This infuriates me also but there isn't a lot you can do. Makes you feel used in a way :-(

CurlyWhirly 20:56 30 Aug 2004

as I don't want to create bad feeling but it is something that has been on my mind for the last few days ever since I read that particular thread!
I feel better now! lol
CW

CurlyWhirly 20:58 30 Aug 2004

If I have solved a problem myself I always try and explain why I ticked the green box as I am sure you have noticed!
I agree with you JonnyTub.
CW

JonnyTub 20:59 30 Aug 2004

me too!

zanwalk 22:05 30 Aug 2004

I agree with your post, particularly the latter part, as it only educates us all if we know HOW a problem has been solved. I also offer thanks for all your valuable contributions!

JonnyTub 23:14 30 Aug 2004

that is "me too" with regard to curlywurly's feeling better :-)

stalion 23:50 30 Aug 2004

Hi all, have only just read the offending thread on the help forum and VoG™ has the perfect solution for this to do with rope knots.I have not been a member long myself and I do understand members frustration with their particular problem when they post and sometimes people take things the wrong way.But making derogatary remarks about help forthcoming does not make sense when you do not know the answer to the problem you have posted.
Long live VoG™ and all other helpers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?