Just another example ....

Clapton is God 13:17 23 Feb 2009

... of bad, disinterested or plain lazy parenting, I'm afraid.

The BBC have introduced a disabled presenter, who was born with only one arm, onto one of their programmes for children click here

Parents have complained about the presenter to the BBC or banned their children from watching the programme in case they're 'scared'.

Yes, it is a difficult issue, but all it takes is a little time to explain to the toddlers why the presenter only has one arm.

kindly 13:45 23 Feb 2009

I saw that program a few days ago when my grand children where here. They wanted to watch it and when I saw the girl I mentioned it to the kids. All they said was "so what". Kids dont bother to much about them things now.

perpetual motion 13:50 23 Feb 2009

Yeah im exactly the same as "Kindly" here i DID see it & i was eating but it was kinda impressed really, you have too be sympathetic to the presenter as she might have clear dissadvantages doing her job BUT i dont have any issue..

I belive some people concentrate too much on other peoples lives then there own..
Good on ye "Cerrie" we support you..!!

perpetual motion 13:51 23 Feb 2009

Just too add ive just read some of the comments people have made about the presenter & they should be ashamed of themselves...PATHETIC..!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:56 23 Feb 2009

With primitive parents like the ones complaining, I am not surprised that their children will grow up as emotional retards. I would love to meet any one of the complainers face-to-face, their attitude sickens me.

G

Marko797 13:56 23 Feb 2009

"Just another example ....of [bad], disinterested or plain lazy parenting", then?? Or have I missed something?

dagbladet 13:57 23 Feb 2009

Always a tricky one this. I once got on the bus with my son who was then about 5. There was a mother with her downs syndrome child who my son took to be a downs actor that he had seen on telly. Without any personal experience or knowledge myself, i tried to explain (quietly) that the condition involves certain facial features which look similar etc etc. The mother then proceeded to launch a tirade in my direction along the lines of if I didn't know what I was talking about I should just keep my bleeping well mouth shut and if my son was so interested why doesn't he just take a bleeping picture. I've no doubt that it is incredibly difficult at times to deal with apparent ignorance and scrutiny, but if kids are going learn to deal with these things they've got to learn somehow.

Legolas 14:02 23 Feb 2009

I am constantly amazed at human beings just when you thought you had heard it all something pops up to make you shake your head in disbelief. This is one such case, it appears to me that the parents are using their children to voice their own prejudices and instead of admiring someone who despite a disability has not let it stop them from doing what they wanted to do, to complain that it is "scaring their children" is a nonsense and as said a few minutes of explanation to any concerned child would be all it needs to allay any fears they may have. Young children unlike adults do not judge but take people disabled or not at face value, pity their parents can't do the same.

Chegs ®™ 14:02 23 Feb 2009

" i DID see it & i was eating but it was kinda impressed ..."

What has your eating have to do with anything?

This woman is a childrens TV presenter and if the BBC show the way,other channels are likely to follow and employ disabled people for "mainstream" posts rather than as seems to be the case,behind the cameras.

Some of the comments made about this woman are vitriolic and plain wrong,and the posters should be ashamed of themselves.(not the posts on PCA,the "bloggers" mentioned in the article)

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:07 23 Feb 2009

I think that you will find that the people who are complaining have a more serious cerebral disability.

G

Clapton is God 14:12 23 Feb 2009

“Or have I missed something?”

I think you have.

It seems that, rather than spend a little time explaining the realities of life to their children, many parents would rather complain to the BBC or ban the child from watching the programme in case he/she gets ‘scared’.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?