Junking the junk...

Quickbeam 19:02 01 Jan 2008

click here Can't see it stopping sales though. No end of kids consider eating out at a restaurant, as going to McD's or a KFC...

Earthsea 19:35 01 Jan 2008

If all children had responsible parents then this measure wouldn't be needed. It may be a little 'nanny state' but unfortunately it's necessary, I think.

Stuartli 20:02 01 Jan 2008

Perhaps if the present Government hadn't declared that competitive sport was unfair to some children (no one must lose), as well as allowed schools to sell off land used for sporting activities, the advertising ban would never have been required.

Quickbeam 22:37 01 Jan 2008

"present Government"

I think the examples you quoted go back to the late seventies, especially the selling off of sports fields due to cuts in school funding. That was one of Thatcher's ideas.

WhiteTruckMan 00:13 02 Jan 2008

Along with stopping free school milk for children.

WTM

DANZIG 00:26 02 Jan 2008

Yet ANOTHER control on the many for the faults of the few.

CAN'T do this, CAN'T do that etc. It annoys the hell out of me.Okay, this is apparently to do with 'the kids', but how long before this kind of business extends to us 'adults'??

Already we're seeing it on alcohol - "drink responsibly". What an absolute waste of time and, no doubt, taxpayers money in telling people what they already know.

Can't our 'masters' just let us halfway decent citizens get on with living our lives, and paying their wages, rather than dictating what we can see or hear???

bluesbrother 02:19 02 Jan 2008

By 'the faults of the few', DANZIG, I take it you mean the fast food joints. For years they have been maximising profits by minimising quality, and using any dirty trick to con cash from people.

In my opinion a ban on ads is being too soft on them.

Kemistri 02:29 02 Jan 2008

This is the kind of ban that does not affect the freedom of anyone other than the advertisers themselves. It does not take away our liberty in any way whatsoever, yet it might just have some small positive effect on obesity over the longer term.

I think that's a bit of a long shot, to be honest, but since it only hampers the fast-food producers, it might be worth a try.

laurie53 07:55 02 Jan 2008

One of the problems with just a "Click Here" link and no other comment is that if the link disappears, as in this case, nobody, other than those who have already commented, have any idea what you're on about!

Quickbeam 07:59 02 Jan 2008

Quickbeam 08:01 02 Jan 2008

Hmmmmm, that must be new, the links used to be active for a week... maybe they want you to rush out and buy the paper instead...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?