Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand are to be suspende

Seth Haniel 11:41 29 Oct 2008

and all their shows taken off air until the BBC has investigated their prank calls made on Radio 2. click here

Clapton is God 12:00 29 Oct 2008

What's to investigate??

Their disgusting/puerile behaviour has been reported in the press, ad nauseum, over the last few days.

JanetO 12:22 29 Oct 2008

If they're sacked it will save us taxpayers quite a few £million.

Clapton is God 12:26 29 Oct 2008

"If they're sacked it will save us taxpayers quite a few £million"

Agreed.

But the point I was making is, why waste time and money on an 'investigation'?

The whole damn country is aware of what happened. Although, I suppose it could be argued that the BBC, with its usual head in the sand attitude, has completely missed the press reports!

Dump them now, no questions asked.

interzone55 12:34 29 Oct 2008

And these knee jerk reactions are exactly the reason for an investigation.

You can't sack someone just because the public say it should be so, there needs to be an investigation to see if there has been sufficient breach of contract terms to justify a sacking for gross misconduct.

If they're unjustly sacked and then appeal it will cost us a whole lot more...

Si_L 12:45 29 Oct 2008

Theres already two threads regarding this.

click here

click here

oresome 12:50 29 Oct 2008

"But the point I was making is, why waste time and money on an 'investigation'?"

So the Director General, who is on holiday, picks up his copy of the Sun and reads the headlines.
Thinks on his sunbed, phones base and tells them to sack the pair. I don't think so.

The programme was recorded. Who had editorial control? Was there any doubt expressed about the content? Was advise sought from higher authority before transmission? What are the guidelines and were they followed?

Quite a few questions to answer I'd have thought.

Seth Haniel 12:52 29 Oct 2008

No theres not - they were on totally different aspects - putting this into another thread would lose its impact as it is a seperate event -

Have you notice that in News reports the give the story as it breaks and usually don't hide it in another ongoing report ;0

Covergirl 13:02 29 Oct 2008

Never liked Ross anyway. Much too crude and slimy. Brand is a bit of an RTA as well.

However, if you read into it, according to yesterdays Times (p17), Mr Sachs "granddaughter" is a 23 year old member of the "Satanic Sluts Extreme" dance troup click here who at one time visited Brands home.

I don't think what happened on the radio was warranted and Mr Sachs was right to complain and get as many apologies as possible, but if you're in the type of profession Georgina Baillie is in, it sort of invites those kind of comments (IMHO) but obviously, not to her Grandad.

The Brigadier 13:14 29 Oct 2008

Both could still have a case if they were sacked by the BBC for unfair dismissal. The BBC are unlikely to sack two of their star broadcasters, but this might now mean that both have to tone down how they act & behave with guests on their shows.

And it also depends if OfCom or the Police get involved, if so then the whole saga would be changed completely if a legal case was bought against them both.

€dstowe 13:25 29 Oct 2008

According to the 1 pm news on BBC1 they are suspended on full pay so, even now we are subsidising this pair of slugs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie