JD Salinger dies

interzone55 08:56 29 Jan 2010

The Author of one of the best American novels of the 20th Century has passed away at the age of 91.

click here

Catcher In The Rye is one of the greatest novels of the 20th Century, but it's a book you need to read in your youth, as once you've reached your late 20's many people have lost the rebel fire that burns within, and can no longer identify with Holden Caulfield the main protagonist.

I read it a couple of times at college and found it to be utterly brilliant - it spoke directly to me personally.

Then the uncensored version was released in the early 90's (one f-word restored) and so I bought and re-read it, and it really didn't mean anything to me anymore, funny how that happens...

gengiscant 09:02 29 Jan 2010

Who?

interzone55 09:11 29 Jan 2010

If you don't know who it is either click on the link or don't open the thread, by just posting "Who?" you are just demonstrating your ignorance...

bremner 09:17 29 Jan 2010

I do not believe he can ever be described as one of the great authors, he is an author that wrote one great book.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:28 29 Jan 2010

'Who?' showing ignorance coupled with an inability to use Google on a public forum, is so twentieth century.

I read Catcher 3 times from the ages of 13 to 18 and it is truly a great novel. Not as expressive as War and Peace but if any book can be said to be 'of the time', this was it.

G

morddwyd 10:23 29 Jan 2010

Tried it fifty years ago but couldn't get into it.

Might give it another try now.

interzone55 11:32 29 Jan 2010

I concur entirely, he wrote one great novel, but that's one more than most authors who inhabit best sellers lists these days...

folsom 12:05 29 Jan 2010

Until i heard the news on tv, i must admit i had never heard of either him or his book. !!!!

TopCat® 13:21 29 Jan 2010

It'll be interesting to see if any other comparable unpublished manuscripts are found among his effects. Could be there is something even better waiting to see the light. TC.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:33 29 Jan 2010

There were rumours for years that there was a sequel to Catcher but Salinger wouldn't comment on it.

G

rickf 18:04 29 Jan 2010

THis man and that book shaped my adolescence. Will never forget it. Part of me since 16. RIP JD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache