I've mentioned the Kindle before,

Forum Editor 19:12 29 Sep 2010

but I've recently received one of the new generation 3G models, and it has prompted me to ask what you think - do you have a Kindle, and if so, how do you feel about it - is it, and its competitor e-book readers going to revolutionise the way we read?

Mine already has around fifty books on it (only 3450 to go before it's full), and I've taken it with me whenever I've been on the move for the past three weeks. I had a previous version Kindle, and this one is an improvement in terms of the display, it really is just like reading a printed page.

Add the email facility, the ability to store my files, and connect to the web free of charge using the 'experimental' browser (still some work to do on that, Amazon), and for £149 it's a very impressive bit of kit.

961 19:18 29 Sep 2010

I don't have a kindle, although I have considered one

I've decided no. Why?

Well, I can drop a book. Sometimes I drop one in the bath when I fall asleep

Doesn't do them any good, but they dry out eventually. A dropped book survives fine

I enjoy books in their current form

For me, kindle is still the future

(bit like Ed Miliband really)

morddwyd 19:54 29 Sep 2010

My wife has the Sony e-book, and has used it a lot, but to be honest with charity booktables in stores and our local Legion Hall, it is simpler just to buy a few as you go by, and re-donate them the next visit.

canarieslover 20:08 29 Sep 2010

Have you tried reading while having a bath? I'm afraid that it's one of my favourite things to do, but I have this silly habit of falling asleep in the bath as well. At least I can dry out a cheap paperback and carry on reading it. Can you do that with the Kindle?????

Woolwell 20:20 29 Sep 2010

I have a Sony e-reader. It is really good to take on holiday. Several books on it and remains light weight. It has a good battery life. However the thing that I miss with it is the ability to borrow/lend books and get cheap second hand ones. Some of the public lending libraries are starting to have their books in e-pub format but not in my area yet. The new Kindle looks good and is probably better than my Sony.

peter99co 21:51 29 Sep 2010

B.O.O.K. (batteries not included)
Introducing the new Bio-Optic Organised Knowledge device, trade named BOOK. BOOK is
A revolutionary breakthrough in technology: no wires, no electric circuits, no batteries, nothing to be connected or switched on. It's so easy to use, even a child can operate it. Compact and portable, it can be used anywhere - even sitting in an armchair by the fire, yet it is powerful enough to hold as much information as a CD-ROM.

Still fancy a Kindle though!

skeletal 21:53 29 Sep 2010

In one sense I would love one, but I have hundreds of books including text books with illustrations. If there was a way to magically transfer all of them onto an ebook, I could carry them all around with me for instant reference.

It is the same with music CDs. There is a hard drive device I’ve seen that can hold lots of CDs, but can I face even four minutes per CD to load up each of 500+? (Assuming the sound quality is as good).

Mass storage is probably the future, but I’m not sure how you get from here to there.

And don’t forget if the device breaks, you lose the lot in one go.

Skeletal

interzone55 22:04 29 Sep 2010

Is it possible to lend an e-book (file) to someone who also has a Kindle or similar?

Woolwell 22:15 29 Sep 2010

skeletal
My e-books are also on my pc so I have a back up and they can be read on the pc.

alan14
Don't think you can share as the books you download (unless free) have copyright protection.

Forum Editor 22:41 29 Sep 2010

"....if the device breaks, you lose the lot in one go."

No, you don't. Details of all my book purchases are stored on an Amazon server, and if I break the Kindle, or something goes wrong with it I can download them again, either onto a new Kindle, or onto a PC.

Forum Editor 22:43 29 Sep 2010

You can't distribute e-book files, that would be a copyright licence breach.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?