I've just been notified

Forum Editor 19:19 07 Apr 2009

by the US National earthquake information centre that there has been a sizeable aftershock (5.6 Mw) centred 56 miles north east of Rome and 13 kilometres deep. That's not good, and my thoughts immediately went to those who may still be underneath rubble, waiting to be rescued, and to those who are desperately hunting for signs of life.

A big aftershock is exactly what you don't need in such a situation, and I very much hope the initial seismological report is soon revised downwards. Very often that is what happens.

I can't imagine the fear that aftershocks must bring to those who have already experienced a sizeable earthquake.

WhiteTruckMan 20:07 07 Apr 2009

"I can't imagine the fear that aftershocks must bring to those who have already experienced a sizeable earthquake."

I can. Long story, but you really, really dont want to go there.

WTM

sunnystaines 20:23 07 Apr 2009

warnings last week of a possible quake were ignored by italian authorities.

peter99co 20:49 07 Apr 2009
  perpetual motion 21:11 07 Apr 2009

I really do feel for them, one of our best freinds is italian & he lives just ten mins away but we cant get in touch.? i do hope he's ok!

I think the goverment should never of allowed multi story buildings in the areas where there is a FaultLine, it is obvious its a accident waiting too happen! im not sure what the alternative is & thats if there is any its like building a city next to a active volcano!

john bunyan 21:27 07 Apr 2009

"I think the goverment should never of allowed multi story buildings in the areas where there is a FaultLine, it is obvious its a accident waiting too happen!"
San Fransisco - take note!

Forum Editor 22:26 07 Apr 2009

Some of the buildings have been there for hundreds of years without incident. Many people live on or near fault-lines because they have no choice, and because decades can pass without any movement in the fault.

Spark6 23:50 07 Apr 2009

We think the goings tough with the credit crunch, this sort of natural catastrophe puts life and its pitfalls into perspective.

My thoughts are with the survivors and their loved ones.

lofty29 09:23 08 Apr 2009

Modern buildings , in earthquake areas, provided they are properly constucted are very resitant to quite high levels of tremors, the problem is where there a very old buildings or where the authourities turn a blind eye to shoddy work.

ened 17:35 08 Apr 2009

I was watching someboody talking about that on TV. The problem they have, when it comes to rebuilding, is cost. How much are they prepared to spend when they might not have such a severe quake for maybe another hundred years?

This is another reason to be grateful for living on these shores!

Al94 18:14 08 Apr 2009

Can you believe this Berlusconi idiot. Not much compassion from him! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?