I've heard it all now

ened 10:17 09 Mar 2009

As if it wasn't enough that they are going on to commit further crimes, including murderers taking other lives:

click here

newman35 10:24 09 Mar 2009

Here we go again, the Daily Wail bandwagon approaching!
If they didn't get some cash on release they would need 'benefits' anyway. But as they aren't entitled to benefits while on ECL, it's just a case of which 'pot' does it come out of.

Cymro. 10:43 09 Mar 2009

This is just a case of the Daily Mail stirring it up again. As newman35 rightly suggests "it's just a case of which 'pot' does it come out of"

The rate at which released prisoners reoffend and so end up back in prison again is high enough as it is.

If making sure that the released prisoner has some cash in his pocket helps to cut down on the rate of reoffending then it is money well spent.

interzone55 11:53 09 Mar 2009

Would you rather they commit further crimes on release just so they can eat and afford a roof over their heads?

Thought not...

I'd love to know why the Mail, Express & Torygraph feel it's necessary to terrorise their readers with stories like this, maybe they have shares in the makers of blood pressure tablets...

ened 13:06 09 Mar 2009

So, according to your theories, everybody who is released from prison should be given a nice wedge so that they won't go stealing!

Who ever said Crime doesn't pay?

Many of them will re-offend anyway!

If prison meant anything they would not want to go back and would live within their nmeans, like the majority of us!

This is the same argument people are using for not stopping benefits for the work shy.

Cymro. 13:20 09 Mar 2009

"Eligible prisoners receive a £46 discharge grant and £47 weekly subsistence payment during the early release period. An offender released 18 days early will receive around £170 cash to cover this period. Housing payments of between £50 and £70 can also be paid to cover up to three weeks rent."
Hardly a nice wedge as you put it?

Many of them will re-offend anyway!
As prison doe`s not work anyway I dare say that a lot of them will indeed reoffend but if they go out without a penny to their name then even more will reoffend.

DieSse 14:02 09 Mar 2009

The scheme costs over £400K to administer. If they were simply made eligible for the normal benefits, it would cost nothing to administer, as they would be on the same footing as any released prisoner.

Now that really is daft.

interzone55 14:17 09 Mar 2009

"If prison meant anything they would not want to go back and would live within their nmeans, like the majority of us!"

Do you even the slightest clue how hard it is for an ex-offender to get a job?

So living within their means would entail living on fresh air for up to 18 days until they're eligible for benefits again.

Please, try experiencing the real world rather than the cosy confines of Middle England...

DieSse 14:23 09 Mar 2009

"Do you even the slightest clue how hard it is for an ex-offender to get a job?"

But - offending was their choice - so it's simply part of their "just deserts".

And it doesn't need a "special scheme" to pay benefits.

ened 14:38 09 Mar 2009

You know absolutely nothing about me and are showing it.

In the nineties I ran an extremely successful programme which helped people from all walks of life, including people fresh out of jail and murderers, find proper employment.

So I suspect I do know something of the real world!

I'm sure, this forum can do without your condescending and patronising attitude.

Kaacee 14:45 09 Mar 2009

I agree with DieSse, commit the crime do the time, most prisoners enjoy a lot more benefits than pensioners, would you say that is right?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?