It's a tough life for a sledge hammer

Diemmess 10:26 07 May 2012
Answered

Son brought a 7lb sledge hammer in sore need of a new handle, broken off at the head. He wanted to break up some rubble before concreting.

The hammer was thick with rust and showed every sign of abuse along life's path. The casting has a series of dents all across the surface with the hole for the handle. The hammer's faces have no significant marks. The dents look like they have been made with a big cold chisel or perhaps a mattock.

The origin of the hammer is obscure, and I can see no reason to make so many dings so completely aligned at about 45 degrees to the axis of the hammer.

My guess is that perhaps someone was trying to knock the head on or off, but hitting one hammer with another in my book is a silly idea with the risk of high speed steel chips causing some GBH.

wiz-king 10:40 07 May 2012
Answer

Couldn't afford an anvil?

john bunyan 10:54 07 May 2012

Trying to crack a nut? (Metal)

dagbladet 11:05 07 May 2012

I've got a garden fork with two bent tines. I try not to dwell on it.

dagbladet 11:07 07 May 2012

Maybe other forum members can share their experiences of slightly damaged tools and implements?

Aitchbee 11:34 07 May 2012

I am just preparing to knock two tubular cylindrical metal tubes into a lawn using a heavy kerbstone (I haven't weighed it). I hope I don't chip it!

That will allow me to install two more bird feeding stations.

dagbladet 11:38 07 May 2012

Excellent. That's the sort of thing. Succinct, barely relevant and with a smattering of technical detail for those that give a hoot.

keep em coming!

Aitchbee 11:43 07 May 2012

ok dagbladet, do you want me to open up my rusty tool-box?

Bingalau 11:49 07 May 2012

Do kerbstones go rusty?

Bingalau 11:54 07 May 2012

There's a picture of a woman in the corner of my screen at the moment. It looks as if someone has taken a sledgehammer to her mouth.

Aitchbee 11:55 07 May 2012

no, but a coupla' knocks will sink the tubes on this occasion.

I haven't got a rusty tool-box...BTW.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?