Its taking effect as we speak!

royalflush 18:52 11 Nov 2008

Yep ive noticed today all these & slthough some of them isnt straight away its soon to happen:

click here

click here

click here

click here

canarieslover 19:16 11 Nov 2008

B#*?&y good job I've retired then and don't need a job. It's all doom & gloom at the moment though you would not think so if you had been at the main shopping centre near to me today.

lofty29 19:20 11 Nov 2008

Some of the losses are inevitable, but some campanies will use the excuse of the credit crisis to shed jobs, excuses in the past have been"we need to modernise in order to compete", that always means job cuts or another favourite is "rationalise", works under the same rules as the governments "bad news day".But the favourite area will be the UK because other countries in the EU have stickter redundancy laws.

Forum Editor 19:29 11 Nov 2008

it's got absolutely nothing to do with the financial situation - the factory is closing because of the termination of patents.

The Virgin Media redundancies are part of Virgin Media's planned cost savings of up to £120 million over the next four years, and in fact nobody will be made redundant until the last quarter of next year.

It's easy to read doom and gloom into things that would have happened in any case.

royalflush 19:50 11 Nov 2008

FE i love your style u always make things better your like a cure for a cold..thankx fe your smashing!!
PS your on my xmas card list..!!

oresome 20:23 11 Nov 2008

I'll balance the thread by saying that the outlook is dire.

Interest rates have been cut which cuts my income.

Many companies have reduced or stopped paying dividends which cuts my income.

Many more companies are seeking further capital from shareholders.........I don't have any money to give them so my holding gets diluted and my income reduces further.

My fixed pension is being eroded by inflation.

My unused pension fund has halved in value in the last year.

Annuity rates are declining, so the reduced money pot will buy even less income.

My income tax has increased from 10% to 20%

Capital losses since I retired over a year ago exceed 8 years income.

My personal inflation rate is probably nearer 10% than the official 5%.

But otherwise life is good.

Oh, I nearly forgot, Virgin made me redundant a few years back!

laurie53 08:11 12 Nov 2008

"My income tax has increased from 10% to 20%"

You know what they say "You have to earn it to pay it"!

Yes, it infuriates me too!

BT 08:17 12 Nov 2008

The tax on Company pension did increase when the 10% band was abolished but its low enough that at the moment I don't pay any tax. I'm not yet old enough to get the State pension and a deferred pension that I have. I suppose I'll be paying loads of tax when these kick in.

donki 10:09 12 Nov 2008

Couldn't agree more we are definitely in a sorry state and me thinks it will only get worse in the short term.

On the other hand I mite actually be able to afford to by my own house in 6 months, every cloud has a silver lining :)!

royalflush 11:38 12 Nov 2008

Looking at the job cuts due for next year & 2010 this could be MUCH longer lasting then we think...Very worrying..

24/7 07:31 13 Nov 2008

Thats not forgetting these in the news today

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?