It's official, the worst place to buy a computer..

oresome 12:42 27 Aug 2009

"Shoppers seeking advice when buying a new computer should avoid certain well-known stores, according to a survey."

"PC World received a 42 per cent customer score in the study by Which? Computing, while Currys and Comet fared little better with 45 per cent, with Staples only managing 51 per cent."

click here

ened 15:37 27 Aug 2009

Given that many people will be spending upwards of £1000 on a machine I should imagine the answer would be yes.

spuds 16:02 27 Aug 2009

I have always stated that I regard PCW commitments to customer service depends on the particular stores management. We have two PCW and Curry superstores within a short travelling distance from my home. Visiting any of those stores can bring various results from the staff, and the management, and as done over the years. So if there is a special training course in place, then by going on my experiences, then each store or team seems to be reading from a different training sheet.

The same can possibly be stated about Staples. Again we have two stores within easy reach, and both are not as good as they use to be.

I do not know why it is, that the same statement about paying more for a 'correct' customer service procedure is always suggested. To me, that would suggest that to receive your legal rights, you must pay the price of a lawyer on stand-by. Hasn't it ever occured, that service of any kind is or should be provided in the price stated for the product, and not an addition :O)

donki 16:18 27 Aug 2009

Having worked as customer service reps for Dixons group I can tell you there is no specfic in depth training on computers or any product. They are told what systems do what and what would be suitible for a certain user type and thats it. Thios becomes evident when you tell the rep your lookign for a system to do such and such, the rep then prodly leads you over to a system andspouts on about it you then ask him a simple question and hes gassupted.

Sometimes they are told to push a specfic product as they want to get rid of it due to it being the end of the line. If you do happen to get a representitive who knows his stuff its down to his own personal knowledge and nothign else. I feel this is the main problem, instead of employing people who have an intrest in eletronics they go for people who come across well in iterview and have good sales attributes i.e communication, likeability.

jack 16:26 27 Aug 2009

Every staff individual is different in his/her ability to absorb and retain knowledge.
Couple that to the daily change in ttechnical specifications of the products and hourly change in the companies stock level- I am surprised at the level of knowledgeof some folk-these individuals must spend every waking moment taking in tech info.

It is a true case of caveat emptor do your own research and go in to store knowing exactly what you want and do not be fobbed off with something else- unless you are prepared to make your own evaluation.

spuds 16:50 27 Aug 2009

A bit like the bankers giving themselves large bonuses and other contractual rights and perks, at the expense of the customer. Or that certain major player accounts showing vast profits, year in year out, leading to even bigger expansion programmes.

And there's me thinking that 'the going rate, or what the market will bear' was a myth!.

dagnammit 17:13 27 Aug 2009

The major flaw here is PCWorld are not cheap.

ened 17:15 27 Aug 2009

when I was young we would have had enough pride to learn about the products we were selling, in our own time.

I couldn't have (Or even now) gone into work to sell something I knew little or nothing about.

These days a job is merely a source of income and too many youngsters seem to regard their salary as attendance money.

ened 18:16 27 Aug 2009

"For a young person today, there's not a lot of point in doing more than the minimum because it won't save you if the company downsizes."

Whilst I appreciate there is no longer such a thing as 'a job for life' there is still the prospect of advancement. If you hold a job for a while and become indispensible you will not be looked at for redundancy.

There is also the question of personal pride. I have lost count of the number of times I have asked pertinent questions in Curry's, PCW, Comet and Jessops and been either given the wrong answer or no answer.

Funnily enough the one place I can be guaranteed an intelligent conversation in my town is Maplins.

Having said that our local PCW does have some interested staff, but not in the Truro branch, where I used to live.

oresome 18:42 27 Aug 2009

"But what I do know for certain is that they are cheaper than they would be if they invested more in training."

The level of disatisfaction suggests that they are losing sales as a result.

Perhaps exceeding a minimum expectation may increase costs, but not meeting it also costs.

Armchair 19:50 27 Aug 2009

What rating did Toys 'r' Us get? That's where I bought my one and only modern PC from. A solid purchase, in retrospect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?