It's Just a Coincidence

morddwyd 07:45 08 Sep 2010

Scottish crime figures fall to a thirty year low.

click here

Record number of police officers on the beat in Scotland.

bri-an 08:10 08 Sep 2010

Will be interesting to see what happens next year, after the big cuts in police numbers that are to take place.

Kevscar1 11:41 08 Sep 2010

No doubt crime has fallen here in Milton keynes. That is soley down to civilians answering the phones and telling you it's not actually a crime so no record gets made.

Woolwell 12:18 08 Sep 2010

What do you make of para 5.4 of this click here

Woolwell 14:29 08 Sep 2010

I thought that the sentences "To avoid unnecessary repetition of the term 'recorded crimes and offences' throughout this publication, reference is simply made to 'offences'. This should be interpreted to mean recorded crimes and offences."
inferred that there really isn't a difference. Crimes are more serious than offences but who decides which is which and by what yardstick? It isn't at all clear and it seems to me that if you want to reduce crime you call them offences and vice versa.

jakimo 14:40 08 Sep 2010

Kevscar has hit the nail on the head.

from personnel experience I have known of reported incidents that have been regarded as a minor offense by the recipient of the call and brushed aside as "nothing we really can do about it"..."know-one available at the moment" or "phone back if the situation gets out of hand"

And yes I am aware that calls are supposedly recorded.

interzone55 14:42 08 Sep 2010

I've not had chance to read through the documents, but it's my understanding that the figures come from different sources, the crime figures are police statistics from crime reports, the offence statistics are from the National Crime Survey...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?