Its going to be one of those days.

  wolfie3000 05:22 13 Dec 2010
Locked

I had one of those bite into an apple and notice half a worm moments.
There was some cake in the cake tin, Lemon cake so i cut a piece off and ate it, after i finished I noticed the cake on the bottom was as green as Kermit the frog and as furry as a shetland cow.

Yes it was full of mould, not a bit but alot, so much in fact it was leaking liquids.
Oh well not much i can do, my body will try to get rid of it some how.

So am I in any danger?

  carver 07:14 13 Dec 2010

Two alternatives, first one you die a slow and lingering death, second is you may have discovered a new life form that you have just murdered, if you are still here in a couple of days then it's most likely the second.

Look on the bright side you will find out if your immune system is working.

  morddwyd 07:26 13 Dec 2010

Just think of it as an organic antibiotic!

  wolfie3000 07:35 13 Dec 2010

Well spent a few hours looking up molds, seems the dangers are Mycotoxins and Aflatoxins.

I still feel fine, I hoping my immune system will cope with it.

Il report back in 8 hours, if by that time im not sick then I should be fine.

  wolfie3000 07:37 13 Dec 2010

"Just think of it as an organic antibiotic!"

Or as carver points out, a very dangerous test of my immune system.

  carver 07:56 13 Dec 2010

Bringing this back down to something lighter, when you cut into the cake did it try to run away, only asking because if it did save the rest you could be onto a Noble Prise winner.

If you start developing a desire to hop about like Kermit keep away from Miss Piggy.

  Sapins 10:24 13 Dec 2010

Seems to me you could have discovered a concentrated form of penicillin, get straight down to the patents office!

  michaelw 10:44 13 Dec 2010

A member of my family is a moldologist.

There are thousands of known species of molds which include opportunistic pathogens, saprotrophs, aquatic species, and thermophiles.[2] Like all fungi, molds derive energy not through photosynthesis but from the organic matter in which they live. Typically, molds secrete hydrolytic enzymes, mainly from the hyphal tips. These enzymes degrade complex biopolymers such as starch, cellulose and lignin into simpler substances which can be absorbed by the hyphae. In this way, molds play a major role in causing decomposition of organic material, enabling the recycling of nutrients throughout ecosystems. Many molds also secrete mycotoxins which, together with hydrolytic enzymes, inhibit the growth of competing microorganisms.

Molds reproduce through small spores,[2] which may contain a single nucleus or be multinucleate. Mold spores can be asexual (the products of mitosis) or sexual (the products of meiosis); many species can produce both types. Mold spores may remain airborne indefinitely, may cling to clothing or fur, or may be able to survive extremes of temperature and pressure.

Although molds grow on dead organic matter everywhere in nature, their presence is only visible to the unaided eye when mold colonies grow. A mold colony does not comprise discrete organisms, but an interconnected network of hyphae called a mycelium. Nutrients and in some cases organelles may be transported throughout the mycelium. In artificial environments like buildings, humidity and temperature are often stable enough to foster the growth of mold colonies, commonly seen as a downy or furry coating growing on food or other surfaces.

Many molds can begin growing at 4 °C (39 °F), the temperature within a typical refrigerator, or less. When conditions do not enable growth, molds may remain alive in a dormant state depending on the species, within a large range of temperatures before they die. The many different mold species vary enormously in their tolerance to temperature and humidity extremes. Certain molds can survive harsh conditions such as the snow-covered soils of Antarctica, refrigeration, highly acidic solvents, and even petroleum products such as jet fuel.

Xerophilic molds use the humidity in the air as their only water source; other molds need more moisture. Mold has a musty odor.

If we don't hear from you soon it was nice knowing you.

  peter99co 12:13 13 Dec 2010

Drink plenty of water. Do not drink COLD water. Take the chill off it first by bringing it up to blood heat. It will be easier to drink then...

Don't want you to get a stomach cramp as well.

  ella33 12:22 13 Dec 2010

"When conditions do not enable growth, molds may remain alive in a dormant state depending on the species, within a large range of temperatures"

Seems like Wolfie3000 might not know for a long time whether the mould will affact him or not....

  jakimo 13:21 13 Dec 2010

As you don't live in America,and can resist reading statistics you will be perfectly alright

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone