It's Font & Background Colours Time Again

griffon 56 09:39 20 Jan 2006

Hi PCA,

Have you re-employed the colour-blind person who selected the font and background colours of a couple of years ago? Pages 28-30 of Issue 128 are examples of the worst colour selection it's possible not to see.

I'm not sure if I'm right but somewhere in a dark memory recess I seem to recall that it's not possible for the human eye actually to see the colours red and blue side by side. It's something to do with beat frequencies being set up between the two colours and the eye actually alternates between the red and the blue, accompanied by a feeling that a veil has been drawn over the whole image.

Pale blue on dark green, dark red and black, I ask you, and you promised not to do it again, too.....

I see, now that I've got the pages in blindingly bright daylight, that all the web addresses are the same colour, an insipid blue, guaranteed to be difficult to contrast. What was wrong with no background colour and highlight the boxes with coloured dividing lines? Think of the ink you would have saved.

griffon 56 10:03 20 Jan 2006

Oops, I didn't see 'Inconsiderate Graphics Design' before I wrote this. Please don't send the boys round. My remarks were in a light-hearted spirit.

BUT, it has now happened twice, which looks, to plagiarise the famous remark about losing both parents, like negligence.

jack 15:28 20 Jan 2006

I stayed out of the original spat'
Inconsiderate Graphics Design' because I said my piece last time around, and going over old ground is pointless.
However to those that are interested ,here is a tale that I was involved in 40+ years ago
I was then involved with the graphics industry - getting images into print- On this occasion a leading advertising agency carried a chain tailoring account and made an advert of a gent in a natty suit in a wondeful houndstooth check pattern.It intended to splash the national dailies.
Those of us in the tech., side knew that if it got to the papers in that form it would an absolute disaster because of screen clash -the printing dots clashing with the pattern in the suiting.
The powers that be were informed- and it went back up the line but no one would pass it on to the people the had the last say - so it appeared.
And all hell let loose- when in fact it need not have done. It seems to be an axiom in the print industry - "Set as copy" even if those that are doing the work know something is amiss.

Forum Editor 16:49 20 Jan 2006

our boys are speeding your way in their Ford Capri GT as we speak - nobody messes with our in-house colour clashers.

The other thread tells of the reasons, and of our hopes for no repetitions. I'm going into the office on Monday, and I'll personally select all the colours on all the pages for the next issue.

pj123 17:09 20 Jan 2006

Well here's a good one. I just borrowed a CD from the Library. The paper covers are OK but the CD itself is black with black text?????

jack 17:32 20 Jan 2006

PJ 123
Here is a good one in those heady days pf the 60/70's
As sted I was a tech guy with repro house .
On this occasion I went to Macmillans because they had a book jacket problem.
'Look' said the Production Director, what the design dept have come up with now- They want a 2 colour jacket front = Black on Black - !
Leave it to me I said and went off to s suitable
'Thinking house' in Fetter lane where I had an inspiration [Guinness thats the stuff] and it worked.
We printed a solid black cover in flat ink. then the design plate over printed in a varnish to make a Glossy.
It worked a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?