It's a batch

Kev.Ifty 00:04 13 May 2012

My mate from Leicester went into a chippy in Coventry and asked for "Chips and a Cob" The Girl worked out what he meant and asked if he would like butter on his 'batch'. My mate was really confused for a few seconds. He didn't know the proper mame for bread rolls is Batches!

How is he going to fair when he wants a scallop batch?

rdave13 00:11 13 May 2012

If you have time then have a gander at this exiting thread, to batch,cob sarinie or to infinnity?...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rdave13 00:22 13 May 2012

That should be 'sarnie' not 'sarinie' but won't make a difference if you're not hungry........ :)

Input Overload 00:31 13 May 2012

Eeeeeee I'll tell thee - I know exactly wor a a Chip Cob is but I have no idea what a Bread Roll is & have never ever heard of a Batch either ~ :-)

interzone55 09:10 13 May 2012

Sorry, it's a chip muffin or chip butty.

There's so many different names for the round flattened lump of bread, within a few miles of my birth place they're called variously muffins, oven bottoms, baps & barms

Aitchbee 09:52 13 May 2012

When I was about 4 or 5, I remember I had to signal to my elderly stone-deaf Auntie Annie that I was hungery and wanted a 'piece' (Glasgow word for a bread sandwich), by making a fist and biting on my knuckles!

She knew what I meant, then refined my choice of filling by asking me what I wanted..." Jam?...Lemon Curd? ... Marmalade?... Stork? ...Sugar?

morddwyd 10:57 13 May 2012

What rubbish.

Everybody knows a batch is a delicious flat round loaf (shaped a bit like a flattened cheese)!

spuds 12:12 13 May 2012

AitchBEE

Mentioning 'piece', brought back some happy memories, when I was initiated into some Scottish rituals, many years ago.

Nothing like having a 'fish supper' at lunchtime. Or frequenting a sawdust floored bar in the Gorbals or somewhere similar, and requesting either a 'light or heavy' with the compulsory chaser. Ho happy days!. .............

But going back to the bread subject, in our local Tesco superstore they stock a vast range of bread products, some with unrecognisable names and flavours. But I bet most of the local school-kids could tell you what they are?.

birdface 13:11 13 May 2012

AitchBEE

That brought back a few memories.If there was no Jam left A piece of bread with Marg on it and sugar spread on the Top.

Aitchbee 15:10 13 May 2012

spuds & buteman - it was not uncommon (as you probably know) for young starving children to shout up, from the street below " Ma...gonny throw me doon a piece".

Nine times out of ten it was sugar on margarine...on rare occasions, a brown sauce sandwich was a pleasant surprise :o)

birdface 16:50 13 May 2012

AitchBEE

I still have a brown sauce one every now and again just so that I remember the taste.Maybe it tastes better on scotch Bread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?