It would be nice if ...

Jak_1 01:30 19 Jun 2007

When people make a post with a link that they include a hint of what the link is about!
Is this too much to ask? When I click on a post to find something like 'What do you think?' and just a link deters me from clicking on the link!

For example a post title saying 'Can you believe this' and opening up the post all there is is a phrase saying 'Read this' and a link.

Come on folks at least include the subject in the post, or am I just being too pickey?

Pine Man 08:20 19 Jun 2007

Not at all picky.

In the same vein what about those who post a thread for help and are never heard of again!

dagbladet 09:59 19 Jun 2007

Not picky at all, and I like the irony of your thread title.

Cymro. 11:15 19 Jun 2007

You ask "am I just being too picky?"
yes probably, but I still agree with what you say about such links.

Totally-braindead 11:20 19 Jun 2007

You're not being too picky at all. When I see threads like that I normally ignore them, I assume that if the person creating the post can't be bothered typing anything about it then its probably rubbish anyway.
I'm sure I miss a few gems that way but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Kate B 11:28 19 Jun 2007

Totally agree, Jak_1. I sometimes hover my mouse over the "click here" which shows you what the link is, but if it's a tinyurl you have absolutely no clue what the OP is on about.

spuds 11:57 19 Jun 2007

Would be nice, but like Kate B, an hover over the link may reveal all in most cases.

On a personal note, I see some of the same questions on a near daily basis, that a simple Google or forum search would reveal an answer. Yet it can be obvious that the person raising the question cannot be bothered to make any real attempt to find a possible answer. Why should I contribute extensively, when a simple click here link will save me time and effort.After all, that action may resolve and provide a possible solution to the question being asked in a far easier and quicker fashion!.

Kate B 12:52 19 Jun 2007

If I preface a reply with "Google is your friend", it's a hint that future questions might well be answered by a few minutes with the search engine.

Totally-braindead 13:25 19 Jun 2007

spuds thats true to a point but some people don't have a clue what they are looking for and are not good at wording the search, what you or I may find simple may be beyond them, but I do agree that some post questions that are ridiculously easy to find the answers to and a simple google search or whatever finds easily regardless of how it is worded.
If its a silly easily answered question I do have a tendency to ignore it as I presume the question is asked in the Forum because the person can't be bothered to look.
I like helping people but don't feel my time is well spent helping lazy people but there is a difference between someone who is lazy and someone just doesn't know what they are looking for.

anskyber 13:40 19 Jun 2007

Are we confusing two rather different things here?

I read your thread as raising concerns about threads in Speakers Corner which give little away in terms of the subject. In such cases I agree with you, I tend to ignore them.

In the Helproom I think it's a little different where many including me can reply to a qustion with a click here.

Jak_1 14:22 19 Jun 2007

Basically I was meaning here. The helproom is a bit different as you say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone