It would be nice if ...

Kate B 17:46 26 Oct 2004

this forum, like others I visit, could find a way of indicating whether I have already viewed a thread. Is this possible? On the MacUser forums, for example, the titles of threads I've viewed are in a different colour.

watchful 17:54 26 Oct 2004

That's a good idea, if possible. The same applies on ebay where titles of items you've viewed change colour.

Dorsai 20:56 26 Oct 2004

it would also be nice if it only rained at night, the sun shined all day, and i won the lottery once in the while.

But it dont mean it's gonna happen though, but it would be nice....

niknax 21:44 26 Oct 2004

yes i would like to see that too!!

Nik

CurlyWhirly 23:40 26 Oct 2004

I doubt if it would happen as I would think that it would be an extra load on the server.

Forum Editor 07:16 27 Oct 2004

you can do it yourself. At least I'm 90% certain there is.

I'm in a mad rush to join the Eurostar throng to France at the moment, but when I get time tonight I'll explain.

CurlyWhirly 11:27 27 Oct 2004

There is a way you can do it yourself. At least I'm 90% certain there is.
I'm in a mad rush to join the Eurostar throng to France at the moment, but when I get time tonight I'll explain.

Please FE don't forget to come back to us to share your 'wisdom'!

Forum Editor 18:56 27 Oct 2004

Not so stressed out - safely in hotel room, and this is what you do. You might find that the forum pages look a little different, and you may not want to keep things that way, but it's a bit of fun to try anyway.

In Internet Explorer go to tools/internet options and (in the general tab) click on the button marked 'Accessibility'.

Now put a tick in the box marked 'ignore colours specified on web pages'

Click OK and you'll see the forum page change quite dramatically. You'll also notice (or you should) that threads you have visited will be marked in a different colour.

I just tried it, and it works on my laptop, but I can't live with the look of it - the changes will obviously affect all sites you visit as well.

Jackcoms 19:06 27 Oct 2004

FE

Enjoy Paris.

Just tried your suggestion. NOT happy. Will go back to the 'normal' look and feel. :-)

Kate B 19:13 27 Oct 2004

Will try it when I've got the PC switched on - I'm on the iBook at the moment. Isn't there a way for the server to recognise if a user has viewed a thread, though? Or a cookie?

Forum Editor 19:19 27 Oct 2004

It could obviously be done, but all these things have a cost implication - both financial, and in terms of loading speeds.

It's on the wish list of things we might do one day, but don't hold your breath. You could always save your visited threads - either in a favourites folder, or on a Word doc for instance. The all you need to do is click the appropriate link to go to a selected thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone