it takes three years

sunnystaines 05:30 27 Sep 2009

for a pc to grind to a halt.

June 2006 built a pc for a relative and loaded it up with trial 14 day security suite. and gave advice on security and regular defrag etc even put a copy of reg mechanic & ccleaner on it.

well its just grinded to a stop it had got slower and slower and infested with adware/spyware.

was never defraged never run ccleaner never got any security antivirus or antispyware.
took all afternoon for jk mydefrag to defrag the harddrive, when I ran superantispyware was on 1804 and still counting when I left and thats after clearing cookies with ccleaner, going back later in the week to continue to see if I can fix without a reformat.
Anyone else seen similar people

Seth Haniel 06:52 27 Sep 2009

and they always do opposite of what you tell them :(

crosstrainer 08:20 27 Sep 2009

Many thousands of them :))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:24 27 Sep 2009

Some people never listen,
unless you put auto updating security on for them your wasting your time as it will be back in a couple of years.

:0(

crosstrainer 10:26 27 Sep 2009

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink :((

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:40 27 Sep 2009

Too true!!

Forum Editor 10:59 27 Sep 2009

it's a regular occurrence. Don't be fooled into thinking that the average forum member's attitude to computer security and housekeeping is indicative of what goes on in the general computer-using population, because it isn't.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:13 27 Sep 2009

At least when someone logs onto the forum and asks for help they have some form of knowledge of security.
The average user either is totally ignorant or totally apathetic.

sunnystaines 11:17 27 Sep 2009

I agree with that comment

crosstrainer 11:17 27 Sep 2009

I suppose I should be grateful...Kept me in work for years!

spuds 13:52 27 Sep 2009

At once upon a time in the early days of PC World, they use to display an in-store chart as to how many machines they 'cleaned' which customers hadn't bothered to update.

Some of the figures were very alarming. But me being me, I often wondered if this was a marketing promotion for a PCW Health Check ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?