It seems a bit callous

karmgord 19:44 02 Nov 2010

It seems a bit callous to make a game out of giving evidence at an inquest over a man you may have possibly shot and killed.

click here

Perhaps the IPCC will ask him to sing
"WHO'S SORRY NOW"

karmgord 19:49 02 Nov 2010

I slight mitigation might be people doing such a difficult job rely on "black humour" to get through,
but surely an inquest is the wrong place for it.

wee eddie 19:52 02 Nov 2010

They use it to enliven an otherwise boring, to them, afternoon.

I seen to remember that John Mortimer based a couple of his "Short Stories" on such games.

Kev.Ifty 20:10 02 Nov 2010

No NWA?

karmgord 20:23 02 Nov 2010

wee eddie
"QCs and Cops have been playing this game for years"

I'm sure that will be of great comfort to his widow and mother.

morddwyd 21:02 02 Nov 2010

I have only seen the evidence in the clip, but it takes a bit of a tortuous mind to see any offence in this.

I have used all of those expressions in my time, long before they ever became song titles, which I suspect many, like me, have never heard of.

karmgord 21:37 02 Nov 2010

morddwyd
So are you saying it's all the imagination of a tortuous mind, a mistake or just a coincidence?
IF the allegations are true,I would find "playing a game"and making light of such a serious aspect to this event VERY offensive.
Lets all have a laugh ,I wonder how many song titles were in the De Menezes inquest?

karmgord 21:37 02 Nov 2010

morddwyd
So are you saying it's all the imagination of a tortuous mind, a mistake or just a coincidence?
IF the allegations are true,I would find "playing a game"and making light of such a serious aspect to this event VERY offensive.
Lets all have a laugh ,I wonder how many song titles were in the De Menezes inquest?

karmgord 21:59 02 Nov 2010

morddwyd
you stated
"I have used all of those expressions in my time"
but would you at an inquest, particularly the phase
"F**ck my old boots"?

BTW, I don't believe it affected the outcome of the inquest one bit,and that the right verdict was returned.
But it's NOT a game.

spuds 22:24 02 Nov 2010

" and that the right verdict was returned".

If you had read the reports on what happened, you might have a different opinion. The whole exercise was a complete mess-up from beginning to end.

Forum Editor 22:59 02 Nov 2010

he is a disgrace to the Police service, and incredibly juvenile into the bargain.

I agree with what Metropolitan police commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson is said to have felt. He was apparently "furious" that anyone could show such "insensitivity and lack of judgment" during the high-profile hearing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone