It is not 'Pointless' anymore

fourm member 14:05 08 Dec 2013

All that most people know about the Central African Republic is that it is a regular answer on a certain daytime quiz programme.

Like many, I'm coming late to awareness of the terrible events going on in that country. Both sides of the religious divide have committed the most brutal acts of violence.

On Twitter, I've started following Peter Bouckaert, Emergency Director at Human Rights Watch, who seems to be willing to ignore his own safety in order to tell those involved that they will be held to account by the international community.

For that to happen, of course, the international community has to understand what's going on.

I think you can read Bouckaert's timeline even if you are not signed up to Twitter. Or here's a piece he wrote, yesterday, describing some of the atrocities.

lotvic 14:50 08 Dec 2013

"coming late to awareness of the terrible events" that is true for me also. I will take more notice from now on, it's horrific.

john bunyan 17:46 09 Dec 2013

Similar events, if not worse, have happened in Rwanda, the Congo and Sierra Leone - and to a lesser extent in other African states. It is quite horrific and at least the French are trying to help. Regrettably many African states have corrupt governments which in turn are attacked by rival militias. The International community does indeed know what is going on and it is regrettable that UN African peacekeepers usually seem so ineffective in these cases, but in the case of the Central African Republic they seem to have made an effort.

Aitchbee 22:16 09 Dec 2013

I reckon that most people in Britain [ and elsewhere besides ] would only be able to find/locate/know about the Central African Republic [on the map of the world] due to the clue in it's name. I hope things improve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?