IT Networking & Security - Job Advice

Benontheroad 16:18 12 Mar 2007

Hello, I need some advice on how to get that first job in IT Networking & Security.

I need some advice as to:

Good companies
Good security related job websites
Good recruitment consultants

I have:

A+, Network+, Security+
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator 2003
Certificate in Networking & Security

But, I am finding it very hard to get that first lead into a network/security related job. I have tried google and tons of other company/recruitment sites but to know avail.

I would be grateful if anyone that works in the industry could give me some advice as to some good sites/companies to target.

It is a long shot but I hope someone can offer some advice.

Zero G 16:27 12 Mar 2007

Try the NHS, always after highly trained staff, who dont mind being poorly paid, but you will get lot's of experience!

That said also try a few IT employment agencies.
Have a look at click here
How much working IT experience on the job do you have?

Zero G 16:32 12 Mar 2007

What part of the UK are you in?
I'm an IT contractor in SW/London, but work in the NHS among other companies, sometimes temping can lead to a full time job. It let's an employer see what you like before offering a possible full time contact.

I do contracting as i can use past experience to get better jobs!!

Benontheroad 16:35 12 Mar 2007

Thanks for the advice Zero G

I have 7 years' IT experience in front-end database management but I want to leave that behind and begin a new career in Netorking & Security

I am about to look up the RC site you mentioned

Benontheroad 16:38 12 Mar 2007

Oh - I am in London as well...North London

I will look up the NHS as well - I think temping might be a good way to get a foot in the door

Forum Editor 16:52 12 Mar 2007

from people in your position, and I'm not surprised to hear that you're finding it difficult to break into the networking/security side of the business. It's a buyer's market at the moment I'm afraid - there's no shortage of qualified people.

The advice you've been given (to try to get some temping work) is good. Once you have a foot in the door, so to speak, it can lead to other things. It's a question of plodding away at it, and trying not to get too discouraged - you'll get there if you're determined enough, but it might be a longer journey than you had hoped.

Zero G 17:08 12 Mar 2007

Try the recruitment agency link above.
But be prepaired to take a poorly paid job to get your self into a job & then get some experience and climb the ladder, the first 6 months or first couple of jobs will be the hardest!

Benontheroad 17:23 12 Mar 2007

Forum Editor:

Thanks for the informatin as well. It seems I am not alone :)

If I get any good website/company leads I will post them on this site

WhiteTruckMan 17:28 12 Mar 2007

is if theres a particular company you want to work for, maybe because you like the look of the place, or you heard they have good benefits etc etc, is to try getting your foot in the door in a non IT job. Its usual for vacancies in large organisations to be advertised internally before joe public even gets a look in. Plus, it shows HR that you are keen and flexible. You would have to decide yourself whether you want to declare your ambition at the outset.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?