Is it more sensible to power off completely?

TOPCAT® 14:23 23 Nov 2005

In light of the near fatal experience of this lady in Anglesey -click here - there's surely a strong case now for switching off electronic gadgetry after use. Technology has moved on apace, but still component failures can happen through faulty design or manufacture, as I suspect maybe the case here. Microsoft had issued a recall of millions of faulty power cables for the Xbox.

In my humble opinion, switching off where possible is preferable to leaving things powered up or on standby. Not only could it be a potential life-saver but, in today's homes with many electrical gadgets, it would certainly help with the bills. TC.

IPA 15:20 23 Nov 2005

After my last high power bill I looked at possible causes and was dismayed to count the number of items in this household that were left on standby.

Including PC , HI-FI & TV related I counted no fewer than 16.

Apart from any possible safety issues , the energy savings gained by turning everything off is quite considerable.

Whilst on my little purge on all things wasteful I also installed 7 energy saving bulbs in strategic places ,reduced the central heating time by 1 hour per day and the stat by 2deg.

Scrooge ? I dont think so.

TOPCAT® 17:22 23 Nov 2005

A very sensible move. I have taken cost cutting measures in my home and the savings have been surprisingly good. I have a hot water system with storage tank that used to be 'on' constantly. Now it's switched on as required and I'm saving around 14 cubic metres of gas per month. However, caution has to be observed in doing this. For health reasons the tank water temperature should not be allowed to drop much below 60 degrees Fahrenheit for too long.

I also have placed energy savings bulbs in heavily used places around the house. They give adequate light, using around one fifth of the power of a normal 100 watt bulb and they last much longer too! ;o) TC.

ade.h 17:50 23 Nov 2005

Very sensible indeed. No-one in the right frame of mind could accuse you of being a Scrooge. If we all thought as you do, there would be less environmental harm and less risk of a possible future power crisis.

ade.h 17:53 23 Nov 2005

If anyone has any good website links for power saving ideas, perhaps they could initiate a new thread on the subject. It would make good reading I think.

spuds 18:24 23 Nov 2005

Regarding leaving electrical appliances on, my insurance company have a clause in the contract that states certain items like tv's and computers must be switched of whilst unattended for any long lengths of time.

TOPCAT® 18:51 23 Nov 2005

click here

Getting back on topic, I am amazed at the number of people I've met over the years who are unaware of the dangers of fitting the wrong value fuse in a plug. Thankfully, here in the UK all new appliances now come with a correctly fused plug for that appliance but, should that need replacing later, many people simply replace it with a much higher value fuse. A potentially dangerous practice to be sure but many still do it. TC.

ade.h 19:17 23 Nov 2005

Good point; a bit like that equally bad practice of overload a socket with more devices than it can take. I've been told that a single socket should never have devices whose fuses total more than the maximum 13amps. Reminds me of a moment in an episode of The Simpsons in which Homer tries to get the toaster to work by shoving a screwdriver into it. Next to him is a socket with a chain of multi-socket adapters and wires growing out of it, with sparks coming off it! "Hmm, nothing wrong there" he says....

oresome 20:07 23 Nov 2005

The problem arises with some devices that they are not completeley switched off unless switched off at the mains socket (or preferably the plug removed) and the mains socket is not always readily accessible.

We also have a Sony Hi-Fi that doesn't retain station programming and correct time if switched off for any period. It's in a spare room and is probably only used a couple of hours a week. The remaining 166 hours on standby! (The handbook does warn that the memory only lasts around 3 days).

I wouldn't fancy starting from scratch with the VCR every time I wanted to record a programme either.

In principal I would prefer to turn things off when not in use both from a safety aspect and the waste of energy.

TOPCAT® 20:21 23 Nov 2005

Now you've got me thinking! I can see a market for one highly intelligent device - a remote control, say - that can store all these peripheral device settings and, on switching them on, will restore them at the press of the right proverbial button.

Anyone got about 10K to start me off? :o)) TC.

jack 20:21 23 Nov 2005

PC on Hibernate then Powered off at the wall-
Indeed the wall plug covers all appliences in my den
it all goes off then I grope for the door.

TV off VCR left on if recording late.

Central Heating - When this house was built for us nearly 50 years ago We made the concious decision
'No central heating' - it holds good to this day.
There are after all extra layers of woolies/porrige/cocoa - why line a rich mans pockers with our hard earned pension.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone