Is it Hip Hip Blu Ray for Sony

Grey Goo 11:27 18 Feb 2008

Rumour has it that Toshiba are considering pulling out of HD DVD. A lot of the big Movie Studios have already defected to Blu Ray so could the competition be coming to an end in favour of Sony.

anskyber 11:32 18 Feb 2008

A decision today it seems. It will put an end to the uncertainty and those who want HD can go ahead.

crosstrainer 11:54 18 Feb 2008

This is the case...Toshiba have announced that they are calling it quits....Reminds me of the old VHS vs BETAMAX wars many moons ago.

robgf 13:49 18 Feb 2008

The big question for Sony must be, will enough users buy the equipment to play (or burn) Blu-Ray discs.
I read an article in Micromart about HD, which stated that unless your screen was greater than 38 inch (I think it was 38"), you wouldn't see any improvement, as the HD resolution would exceed the screen resolution.
So whether Blu-Ray is a success, depends on how much better it is perceived to be, than a standard DVD.
Personally I think that the picture quality on standard DVDs is excellent. And extra added features such as outtakes and the like, don't interest me now, so adding more wouldn't influence me at all.

It could be that Sony have won the format battle, but lose the war for widespread adoption of the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone