Is it Goodbye Time.

birdface 13:16 07 Aug 2008

Makes you wonder why they want to try it.Surely if they are not sure it should not be used.click here Will have a couple of pints to night just in case.

day2strike 13:31 07 Aug 2008

Oh dear, perhaps i may not pay any bills until Monday!

birdface 13:41 07 Aug 2008

Might not need to pay any bills again.But like you I will not pay anymore until Monday,[Just in case]Hope I am still here to thank you for your advice.

Seth Haniel 14:00 07 Aug 2008

click here

and everyone elses ;(

bstb3 14:23 07 Aug 2008

it must have been a real sod to get this one past the health and safety bods.

"So aside from the occasional black hole, Earth and the surrounding solar system disappearing into itself, nothing can go wrong? Here, just be sure to hold up this "Warning: doomsday" sign before you start and you can go right ahead"

seriously though, what could go wrong. Billions of euros of taxpayers money, the top scientific brains from Europe and around the world. All they are doing is an experiment that has the potential side effect of creating a black hole or three. I mean its not like they cant get something to land safely on Mars because of mixing up Centimeters and Inches or something.. oh wait.

It would be an interesting test of the nerve of the scientist that gets to press the big red button (I really hope there is one), if someone were to pop a balloon right behind them just after they press it.

birdface 14:28 07 Aug 2008

Thank you for that .Some fantastic photo's from his web site. click here

crosstrainer 14:35 07 Aug 2008

Awesome machine. It's possible that it may create a black hole, but when quizzed as to what was likely to happen when the device was run up to full power, all involved said that they simply did not know.

"It's why we do science" was one of the comments I heard.

Fine, so if they create a black hole, and the Earth and everything on it gets sucked in and crushed, they will then know what happens.

Personally, I would not want to be the one throwing the switch :)

birdface 14:35 07 Aug 2008

Incredible how any one could actually dream up a machine like that and actually build it.Lets hope we don't live to regret it.

crosstrainer 14:54 07 Aug 2008

There must be enough copper wiring in there to go around the world quite a few times. Whilst they are starting it up on Saturday, it won't be running at "Black hole goodbye all" speed for another few months.

Should give me enough time to retire, buy my new car, and then BOOM! Life sucks :((

bstb3 15:19 07 Aug 2008

"There must be enough copper wiring in there to go around the world quite a few times"

its a pity it wasnt built in this country then, that copper wire would have gone walk about ages ago. We wouldnt need to worry :)

The other thing that bothers me about this is the double standards. I got told off in a Science lesson once for attempting to set fire to an asbestos (I think thats what it was) safety mats with a bunsen burner, just to see what would happen because I didnt know. Apparently that was wrong. But here theres a bunch of scientists that are risking doomsday just to see what will happen because they dont know. Its just not fair :(

crosstrainer 15:23 07 Aug 2008

I've no wish to start the rumour mill going, but maybe there is something we don't know, or they are not making public.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?