Is it disc or disk?

pj123 14:48 13 Jan 2006

What is the correct term? Disc or Disk? I always use Disk but have seen others using Disc.

Hard Disk Drives always seem to be with a "k" but removable media like CDs, DVDs and Floppies always seem to be referred to as disc with a "c".

Or does it even matter?

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:02 13 Jan 2006

'Or does it even matter?'....a matter of supreme indifference.

G

leo49 15:04 13 Jan 2006

Your last sentence sums up this and many other threads.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:07 13 Jan 2006

I don't really think it matters either. However, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the correct English spelling is disc with disk being the US alternative.

sattman 15:10 13 Jan 2006

Mr Mistoffelees states, it depends on which side of the pond you are on, we have Disc, they have Disk

VoG II 15:50 13 Jan 2006

Disk - it is from Greek.

MESH Support 16:03 13 Jan 2006

As far as I always understood, everything up until the invention of the CD was a disk, e.g. Hard Disk and floppy disks, and everything from CD onwards was a disc. e.g. Compact Disc

I can't remember where I got this from, it's just the way I've always thought about it when choosing how to spell it.

Davey

Forum Editor 16:08 13 Jan 2006

GANDALF <|:-)>'s response in bold.

I'm off to watch some paint drying.

Monument 16:17 13 Jan 2006

Does it matter, obviously not. but it is a question I am often asked so it would be nice just to have a definitive answer.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:22 13 Jan 2006

The OED is generally considered the definitive dictionary of our language.

pj123 16:40 13 Jan 2006

I'm tending to go with Mr Mistoffelees now. Having just had a look at the Oxford English Dictionary most of the spellings suggest disc as correct. It even comes up with "Winchester" how many remember that? I think that was one of the first hard disc drives but it was also a rifle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?