It couldn't happen to me, could it?

canarieslover 13:20 20 Nov 2009

I had a phone call today from Barclaycard Security to check on recent transactions. Asthey went through the list I knew that one of them was not mine or the wife's. I was then put through to their Fraud Dept. where I was told that the transaction I was questioning took place in Australia. The credit card is mainly used for shopping and fuel at Tesco, Paypal and Amazon and vary rarely, for internet purchases. I use Avast!, Windows Defender, SAS, Malwarebytes and aSquared and do not visit dodgy websites. The card is never used in a cash machine and all paper communication is shredded when no longer required. There have been no suspicious phone calls or e-mails purporting to have come from Barclaycard. Fortunately I am covered against this so the £2400 will not be paid by me, but still the question arises. How did it happen??

Clapton is God 14:09 20 Nov 2009

"How did it happen??"

The same way that most, if not all, credit and debit card frauds take place.

A less than honest member of staff at one of the stores you've used (in the High Street or online) has probably 'skimmed' your card and either used those details him/herself or passed on the details to someone else.

canarieslover 14:27 20 Nov 2009

The question was more rhetorical. I had realised that it was dishonesty somewhere along the line that had resulted in my details being passed on. It was more a question of 'What more can I do to prevent it'. I am aware that card cloning and identity theft are quite rife and so take as many precautions as I can to prevent it happening to me. How do my methods differ from other card users and how effective are they compared to other methods? Obviously I am not ecstatic about my methods as I have been compromised. Any better suggestions, other than cutting up cards, will be welcomed.

Clapton is God 14:48 20 Nov 2009

Frankly, there are no better suggestions.

I'm sure it's happened to many members in this Forum (including me, several times) and lots of other people as well.

Obviously, I don't know what your "methods" are, but if your PIN's still only known to you and your cards are always kept safely on your person or at home, there's nothing else you can do.

There's no real need to cut up the cards, but you might want to revert to cash-only transactions if you're that concerned (although that might prove a little difficult when shopping online). ;-))

Kevscar1 14:53 20 Nov 2009

It doesn't matter what you do. If you use a card anywhere High St or Internet if that company that you know and trust take on one person that is dishonest your card details could be stolen. One dishonest person taken on by your bank could steal them.

TopCat® 15:15 20 Nov 2009

and it was my Barclaycard too that had been compromised, I was very grateful that their vigilant security was so clearly on the ball when they contacted me at the earliest opportunity. Luckily for me, and for the bank, they had stopped payment for an expensive transaction placed in Canada prior to security contacting me.

Having always taken all precautions with it and my PIN. I was however none the wiser as to how my card details had been obtained, but they did insist that new cards would be sent out for my wife and myself. TC.

Al94 15:22 20 Nov 2009

There is nothing you can do, it will happen to most people at some time. Just be grateful that your card provider appears on the ball with fraud detection - same thing happened to me last week, got a call from my Visa provider fraud department asking me if I had used the card for a £30 Vodafone PAYG top up that morning - which I hadn't - never buy PAYG top ups. They said my card was compromised and to destroy it, they sent me a new one. It's a card I rarely use, registered with PayPal and Sunday Times wine club - nowhere else. Was used to purchase petrol on holiday in Ireland in July - you never know what goes on these days.

skeletal 15:46 20 Nov 2009

“...your card provider appears on the ball...”

In my son’s case his card was “cloned”, we worked out when and by whom and got the card “stopped”. All the information was there for the “ring” to be quickly caught...and...

nothing.

The so called “stopped” card was then used a number of times after.

I suppose that as only a few £100ks are being stolen during these scams no-one could care less.

It is incredibly easy for dishonest people to “pinch” your card.

On a separate note, people here are saying “The fraud department rang me up and...”. I have had such calls and I never tell the caller anything (they start off by asking questions to identify me). This is no different from phishing as far as I’m concerned. I thank the person then ring the organisation back.

Skeletal

nangadef 16:47 20 Nov 2009

Same here skeletal. NatWest Visa rang me one day and wanted my security details re a transaction in the USA. I said that they could in fact be criminals and said I would ring the number on my card.

The outcome was that they stopped my card and issued a new one.

LinH 16:57 20 Nov 2009

You raise a very interesting and relevant point skeletal. Basically you should trust no-one regarding your security details and as you say, ring them back, this will confirm one way or the other whether the caller is/was genuine.

LinH

Al94 17:00 20 Nov 2009

Yes that happened to me too - when RBS Visa Fraud called me they asked for card number and three digit security number - I told them no way was I giving that to anyone who called me and they said I was just right! They told me to call the number on the card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?