Is it controversial to mention the war's,

Quickbeam 09:47 01 Jan 2014

the Great War's, great patriotic call to arms as this Express link suggests some might think?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:00 01 Jan 2014

Don't see why, as there is always a war going on somewhere in the world.

We don't seem to be getting any better as I believe the twentieth century had more wars than at any other time in history. Perhaps it due to population increase -the more of us there is the more people to fight with - especially over dwindling resources such as oil and soon fresh water.

spuds 11:16 01 Jan 2014

I don't see how it can be controversial, considering the amount of repeats of war documentaries of those times on television. Perhaps reminding those that what to forget, what actually happened, and how many lives were lost?.

woodchip 12:12 01 Jan 2014

Only thing I can think, is they never learned nothing from them

Quickbeam 12:13 01 Jan 2014

"what actually happened, and how many lives were lost?."

Which is the whole point of history, to learn for the better, naive as that notion is. The only good thing to come out of that war is that we would never again willingly and unquestioningly march into such wholescale slaughter.

My only complaint of the £2 coin design is that it has 'The First World War 1914-1918' on it. Until 1939, when we knew we were in a second world war, it was 'The Great War', my grandad, an artillery man, was always annoyed greatly by that name change.

woodchip 12:19 01 Jan 2014

As one old W1 solder said on TV, it was Organized Murder

Forum Editor 12:21 01 Jan 2014

I don't think that it's controversial to mention the First World War in a year that will see the 100th anniversary of its beginning. The inclusion of the iconic Kitchener image on a coin to be issued this year seems right in the circumstances, especially as its accompanying slogan might still be considered appropriate for today, albeit in a different context.

Aitchbee 17:50 01 Jan 2014

It's about the right time for a song.

Time to Kill

Aitchbee 18:42 01 Jan 2014

I reckon the choice of the Kitchener 'image and slogan' on the obverse side 'belittles' the Queen's image on the 'heads' side. The war 'message' will be lost or perhaps even misconstrued [by others] as FE hinted:- ... especially as its accompanying slogan might still be considered appropriate for today, albeit in a different context.

Aesthetically, it's a very poorly designed coin, 'cos the power of Kitchener image really only 'works' when it's portrayed in it's original full-sized POSTER manifestation ... to sum up, a bad choice of subject to commemorate the Great War.

Aitchbee 19:04 01 Jan 2014

16 million dead & 20 million wounded would be a better epitaph ... engraved around the coin.

bumpkin 23:42 01 Jan 2014

" albeit in a different context." what context, I seem to be missing the point here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?