Is it a bird?is it a plane?is it a lunatic.

gengiscant 16:32 27 Jul 2008

I lean towards the latter.
This guy is going to jump out of a helicopter,without a parachute I might add,and land on a specially constructed ramp.
click here
Absolute lunatic.

spuds 16:48 27 Jul 2008

Some World War 2 participants had to bail out of planes, without parachutes, and they lived to tell the tale.

I hope the person in the link doesn't land in China. They have a saying: If it flies and isn't made of metal or wood, then eat it!.

johndrew 19:15 27 Jul 2008

If man was meant to truly fly he`d have feathers. Even bats and bumble bees have a better power to weight ratio than this guy.

Quickbeam 12:04 28 Jul 2008

His costume looks a bit like a flying squirrel design so it's not as mad as it seems, he does have some control over speed and direction. So brave, but not lunatic for me... I'd fancy my chances more in his flying garb than Icarus' feathers:)

dagbladet 12:24 28 Jul 2008

The theory is sound. I have practised a form of the 'engine off' (Autorotate) technique many times in a helicopter. Effectively you are gliding, except that you need to maintain a certain element of forward velocity to create enough lift to maintain a controlled rate of descent, as opposed to merely plummeting, when you are approaching the ground (here's the rub) you need to trade in some of that forward speed in exchange for a bit of lift in order to arrest the rate of descent, once you have applied (upward)pitch to the rotors they will slow the rate of descent and if the angle is correct also the forward speed. However, as there is no engine driving the rotors, they will slow down and rapidly lose their lifting capability, hence it's really a one shot option, too soon and the speed/lift is wasted when you're still too high and a large crunch follows, too late and the cruch comes sooner, just right and you can bore people to tears with it in internet forums.

Back to the question. Whilst the theory is sound, I think the guy is nuts.

Quickbeam 12:42 28 Jul 2008

"between 1930 and 1961, 72 of the 75 bird-men died testing their wingsuits"

He'll be wanting to keep that statistic to 72/76 I suppose...

spuds 12:43 28 Jul 2008

What happened to the other three,were they successful!.

Quickbeam 12:55 28 Jul 2008

Dunno, maybe they just lived but didn't count as successful...:(

Chegs ®™ 13:52 28 Jul 2008

Utterly pointless,he wont even beat a previous record.The bottom of the linked page has the details of an air-hostess who fell 33,000 feet and survived.

Clapton is God 14:03 28 Jul 2008

Thanks for the link.

I found the story and slide show about the bikini to be excellent 'reading'. ;-))

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:02 28 Jul 2008

Most people exist, some live.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?