(ISP) Karoo, based in Hull.

peter99co 14:32 24 Jul 2009

Plug pulled on suspected pirates

click here

Is this a fair way to deal with the problem?

User-1229748 14:50 24 Jul 2009

not really the best advertisement for a company that i'd never heard of till today :o(

Managing ed 15:52 24 Jul 2009
  interzone55 15:54 24 Jul 2009

They can basically do what they like, because if you want broadband in Hull there's nowhere else to turn.

Basically Karoo don't want to spend any more money expanding their capacity, so they cope by making sure people use less bandwidth.

One of the worst cases of monopoly bully boy tactics I've heard of in a while...

Autoschediastic 20:01 24 Jul 2009

Actually they changed there minds!!

click here

I have a meeting with Nick Thompson who is the director for Kingston Comunications in relation too there customer service/advertised broadband speed as well as many other issues.!
They offer speeds that are not achievable! & there customer service is a dissgrace!

One good thing is they are FINALLY listening to the public! hense why i am going for the meeting..

Autoschediastic 20:03 24 Jul 2009

They publicy stated this morning they are stopping illigal downloaders by cutting of there connection THEN the same day back tracking.???

John B 20:08 24 Jul 2009

File-sharing is not per se illegal. That (in my opinion) is where the problem lies.

click here

interzone55 21:20 24 Jul 2009

The music industry recommendations is warning users first before cutting them off.

Karoo have their reasons, and it's nothing to do with copyright infringement it's down to network contention.

It's kind of like the government using the environment as a reason for raising fuel duty...

Chegs ®™ 13:28 25 Jul 2009

I have seen several mentions on various TV programs from people receiving legal looking paperwork alleging thay were illegally downloading copyright material when they could prove they hadnt been.For this ISP to act in the manner it had been smacks of bullyboy tactics,and now its following other ISP's with a 3 strike rule will at least allow those accused a chance to clear their names if they are innocent without losing the connection.

Mr Mistoffelees 13:44 25 Jul 2009

Seems to me the people of Hull would be much better-off if BT provided them with phone lines (I am not aware of the reason why there is no BT service in Hull). At least then they would have choice and Karoo would lose it's monopoly.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:54 25 Jul 2009

Call me stupid but wouldn't the obvious solution for users be that they did not download copyright material and stick their fat hands in their wallets? This would mean that they would not be cut off. Simples.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?