Isn't this sexual discrimination?

canarieslover 15:22 21 Oct 2009

Would any employer get away with such blatant discrimination as this. - click here Whatever happened to 'Best person for the job'?

Clapton is God 15:36 21 Oct 2009

Who cares?

Whether they be male or female, they'll still have their noses firmly in the trough.

Colin 17:41 21 Oct 2009

I think it's the principal canarieslover is getting at. If the suggestion was to only allow white males, (the most discriminated against yet most privileged members of society), to apply for a role there would outrage.

JYPX 18:03 21 Oct 2009

If anyone can think of a better way to move quickly towards 50% women MP's, I am sure that Cameron would like to hear about it...

birdface 18:16 21 Oct 2009

Why should it be 50-50 surly the best person for the job should get it.I don't think the sex or colour of the candidate should come into it.
It could be a vote loser but I am sure it was not that long ago when labour spokesman came out with the same comment.

birdface 18:45 21 Oct 2009

[Isn't this sexual discrimination]

Yes but it looks like we have to obey the rules but those leading the Government don't.

If you were an employer looking for new staff you can not advertise for males only or for white workers only vacancies.
There would be an outcry from the same person who advocates Women only for MP's.

Like I say they seem to be above the Law.

peter99co 19:22 21 Oct 2009

Labour already uses all-women shortlists despite opposition in some areas.

Mr Brown was previously accused of sexism by former housing minister Caroline Flint, who quit the government in June, saying he was running a "two-tier" Cabinet where women were treated as "window dressing".

Forum Editor 20:02 21 Oct 2009

I'm going way out on a limb here, but I'm getting the teeniest, weeniest idea that you might not hold Members of Parliament in very high esteem.

Kevscar1 20:27 21 Oct 2009

FE
What possible reason could there be for us not to hold Members of Parliment in the highest estemm

peter99co 20:42 21 Oct 2009

Minister for Women Harriet Harman announced that the exemption would be extended until 2030 under the proposed Equality Bill.

Ranger 21:03 21 Oct 2009

"I'm going way out on a limb here, but I'm getting the teeniest, weeniest idea that you might not hold Members of Parliament in very high esteem."

doesn't everyone hold that view!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?