ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain

Seth Haniel 10:43 16 Sep 2008

with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

click here

interzone55 10:56 16 Sep 2008

"The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence."

"Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said he had taken advantage of a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.
Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case. "

In what way have the current Government quietly sanctioned powers, when the new courts are using part of an act initiated by the last Government.

Yet more deliberately unclear reporting by the Dirty Digger's propaganda sheet...

Grey Goo 11:02 16 Sep 2008

So the comment "Getting Stoned" may take on a completely new meaning.

Cymro. 11:28 16 Sep 2008

I like your posting alan14 espesially the line
"In what way have the current Government quietly sanctioned powers, when the new courts are using part of an act initiated by the last Government".

It is a pity that the press are not so willing to make this clear, but then they would`t would they!

Grey Goo 11:35 16 Sep 2008

Under previous setup the court rulings could not be enforced. That has now changed under the current Government.

Clapton is God 11:57 16 Sep 2008

Will the last Christian to leave this country please close the door

interzone55 12:01 16 Sep 2008

Sorry, still not true

Both parties have to agree to the ruling, and this is still part of the 1996 act...

interzone55 12:04 16 Sep 2008

Again, over reaction.

Under human rights laws we have to respect other people's views and beliefs.

If, as the Times has just discovered, Sharia law is being used in this country it only applies to the followers of Islam, and it also only applies if both parties agree to abide by the rulings of the court.

Anyone who is not a follower of Islam has no reason at all to be concerned by this. In fact we should pride ourselves for our understanding of other's beliefs.

Just because Islamic countries don't respect others doesn't mean we should lower ourselves to their level...

Quickbeam 12:09 16 Sep 2008

scrap both systems and revert to the Feudal law of the Barons...

medicine hat 13:35 16 Sep 2008

Do they still cut the hands off thieves? Fine by me

lofty29 15:53 16 Sep 2008

Forum member
Simple answer to your question" can anyone explain to me the differnce etc"
I cannot recall hearing of any jews calling for the killing of brits or christians in this country, nor can I recall any threats or actual acts of terrorism by jews in the UK, but there are plenty by muslims. nor can I recall any calls for "holy Jihad" from the jewish community against other faiths

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?