the irish

sunny staines 11:54 03 Oct 2008

yet again ireland is leading the way where other EU contries ponder.

should the UK follow ireland and protect savers , france considering following suit.

with my house on the market looking for somewhere safe to stash the cash after the sale.

peter99co 12:00 03 Oct 2008

By the time someone has waited for the house prices to bottom out you may find your options are different.

birdface 13:07 03 Oct 2008

Just wondering if most people from all over the world put their money in Irish Banks And the banks went bust it would be nearly impossible to pay every one out.So how they can guarantee it 100% I do not know.You put your money in the bank for safe keeping and you now no longer feel safe doing so.I would think that a lot of folk buying gold just now so the price of gold is sure to rise.So maybe a quick profit on that as long as you do not hold on to it to long.The only other way out is if you have more than £50.000 in the bank just spread it around the other banks and you should be Ok.Sadly none of this concerns me as I do not have enough in the bank to worry me.

lofty29 14:06 03 Oct 2008

This question came up on "question time " last night and the figure given was that something like 97% of savers were covered by the uk guarantee, it was also mentioned that the irish were likely to be very unpopular with the rest of the EU over this measure, since it could be seen as pretectionism, and could even be against EU rules, one of the rules with the nationalised northern rock is that it cannot take in more than 1.25% of the countrys savings is that it is an unfair trading position

Kevscar1 14:08 03 Oct 2008

If they go bust will my overdraft get lost if so I'll get the limit raised.

Woolwell 14:15 03 Oct 2008

The Irish are not alone as Greece has done the same click here.

Woolwell 14:44 03 Oct 2008

"However, research by leading investment bank Credit Suisse shows that though just 2 per cent of customers are not covered, these customers hold close to half of the entire savings in Britain."
From click here

Forum Editor 15:39 03 Oct 2008

I'm not sure what the previous occasions have been, but as others have pointed out, it's not exactly a world-changing move - only a very tiny percentage of the total population has savings in excess of the £35K that is already covered by the UK scheme.

I very much doubt that things are radically different in Ireland.

spuds 16:06 03 Oct 2008

In answer to your comment, the liquidators will most likely send in the bailiffs to collect outstanding 'loans' ;o)

Pine Man 16:09 03 Oct 2008

'So all this fuss is about people who are extremely wealthy.'

I think that is a bit of an overstatement. I know a several people who have saved up hard all their working lives for retirement and end up with savings in the region of £50,000. They only have a state pension so the interest on that deposit helps to supplement it by about £2000 a year. Hardly a fortune is it?

sunny staines 16:12 03 Oct 2008

its a house sale that promps the question, not going to buy for a while and try renting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?