iPod Poll

Diodorus Siculus 19:51 15 Nov 2005

I don't usually post here but this particular thread has caught my attention.

Why might the iPod have had its day? I thought it was going from strenght to strength.

I don't have one, nor indeed do I covet one, but I am curious as to why people think it may be nearing the end of the line.

Belatucadrus 20:04 15 Nov 2005

Perhaps as many purchased it, not on technical merits, but because of its 'fashion icon' status. Fashion is almost inevitably transient, so at some point the ipod will find its true point in the market place, not one driven by the need to be seen with white earphones.
This will only be a problem if the people at Mac misjudge things and overcommit resources to the ipod line before the bubble bursts.

Lead 20:05 15 Nov 2005

I don't think they're nearing the end of the line. I've just bought the new black, 60gb video model and love it to bits. (I already own a 20gb 2G version.)

ade.h 21:01 15 Nov 2005

I've tried quite a few of them (pretty much every model at some point or other) but have never chosen to buy one in preference to less glamorous alternatives.

However, I can't see anything to suggest that the bubble is about to burst, unless there has been a significant drop in sales that I don't know about.

wee eddie 21:01 15 Nov 2005

However I reckon that ipod has 1 kick left in it.

After that we will be on to the next SJ special.

Anyone care to guess what it will be?

Diodorus Siculus 21:56 15 Nov 2005

I wonder if any of the 149 or so who voted for it having had its day would like to put forward that point of view?

I think that it will be around for a long time - I remember more than once reading of the forthcoming death of the Walkman.

PurplePenny 23:43 15 Nov 2005

Apparently it is no longer "cool" because everyone has got one! Of course that doesn't mean that it has had its day ... just that it is selling to a different market.

Skills 23:58 15 Nov 2005

My cousin was looking at purchasing a ipod nano the other day the reason he decided not to was because of the built in battery in the nano. He couldnt find out how easy this would be to replace and so has decided against getting one. I too feel the same.

I was one of the ones who agreed to it having had its day, I dont think it will disappear but I do think that there alot of other devices on the market each offering similar functions at less cost to the ipods and no need to use itunes. I dont like the idea of being locked into a piece of software but may have it wrong that you can only use itunes to get tunes onto your ipods. I want to use the software that I choose to manage my music and not have the manufacturer of my media device decide that for me.

Ok I see that you can get a plugin for winamp to make that see your ipod but I still think that you should be able to use the app of your choice straight away.

Chegs ® 01:13 16 Nov 2005

I to voted as ipod having had its day.My reason is simple enough,its a fashion accessory,and as with all fashions,they fade(but thats not to say it won't re-emerge in the future,we got the 70's tanktops returned)I have never bothered with fashion in 20+ years either,so even if it did die and return I still wouldn't buy one.

Diodorus Siculus 07:45 16 Nov 2005

OK - thanks for the feedback. I still believe that it will be around for some time, in one form or another.

€dstowe 08:15 16 Nov 2005

This is another poll without a section for me to provide feedback.

A "who cares" choice would have suited me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone